Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side door hinge issues

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2012, 9:40 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for delay. Hinge kit was used only to provide parts that were broken on van. Garage replaced one half of hinge and left other half (on door) in place. You can see the screws where the replacement is bolted on. Works fine now.
Attached Thumbnails  Side door hinge issues-hinge-kit.jpg  
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Local body shop said $475 to replace 1/2 of 1 hinge yesterday with grease fittings. Carquest said $5.75 for greaseable pins. but my hinge is already broke.

Old June 17th, 2012, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express van hinges,

just did all 4 hinges on my work truck, Parts 19257341 upper rear; 19257342, lower rear; 19257343 front upper; 19257344 about $100 each,

two guys, six hours and $125 in drill bits reaming out the welds.

now the doors both seem floppy, as the door side hinge only mounts to thin sheet metal, is there a fix for that?

worst part was I had salvaged the hinges on my other truck... stupid deer

19257341 - GM HINGE KIT

19257341 - GM HINGE KIT
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default The Only reason why Side hinges seize or break IS:

G.M. ( Government Motor) utilize IMITATION Brass Bushings made of Metal with a thin Copper Coating INSTEAD of genuine solid Brass Bushings!!!
Along with cheap quality steel pins WE HAVE ALL BEEN Fooled by GM!!!
SO when the factory force instal the cheap brass colored bushing in the hinges hole; they scratches and start to moisture rust and the same goes with the cheap steel pins rubbing against the pseudo brass bushing and here we are all victims of their long term quality jugement error !!
I Wishe to have in front of me the GM guy in charged of that unintelligent idea !!
The Hinges design are is perfect but the Taiwan made pins and bushings is a big quality mistake that today we are asking to pay the big price !!
I really think that this is an insult for us older Express/Savana owner to be forced to pay that much blood money and guts time for premature hinges replacement due to the fact that GM cut quality where it was not right !!
I LOVE my 2004 Express and I put a lot of money into it to have it reliable dayly workhorse.
So GM; after all those numerous GM cars in my life, even today also having a 57' Nomad, I disthank you for that and I will be tempted to see what the competion will have to offer me for my next truck.
What a shame GM,
Gino, Dorval, Qc Canada.
Old October 8th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

2003 Cheyy Express. right swing open door hinge & latch problem. Spoke to GM REP regarding possible recall . She stated no recall only for gas tank neck and seat belt. The hinge/latch is molded onto the actual door which requires total replacement. Dealership estimate 1000 for repair. This is a safety hazard because my kids cant enter or exit via the sidewalk ..they have to use the driver side passenger side (street swing door) to exit or enter the vehicle.

GM is the manufacturer of the hinge/door latch per customer service . I went on safercar.gov and plan on filing a safety complaint. I appreciate if anyone who has problems or had problems with their swing door to please file a complaint o safercar.gov website, which will be investigated and hopefully GM will recall and fix this safety issue. I dont want to pay a grand, let alone any cashout for a design problem on their end. Any comments or suggestions feel free to contact me @ breedj1@msn.com.
Old October 9th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Active Member

Question

Originally Posted by DTrucker1
2003 Cheyy Express. right swing open door hinge & latch problem. / snip / This is a safety hazard because my kids cant enter or exit via the sidewalk ..they have to use the driver side passenger side (street swing door) to exit or enter the vehicle.
/ snip /
A Chevy Express fullsize van with street-side barn doors?

Either way - repair should be about 1/2 - 2/3 of dealer quote at a reputable, independant body shop.
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default door hinge

i have a 99 express with only 77000 miles. my side door hinge busted. with all the complaints why dosnt gm make it a recall for a ****ty desighn
Old October 21st, 2012, 9:05 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Carson
i have a 99 express with only 77000 miles. my side door hinge busted. with all the complaints why dosnt gm make it a recall for a ****ty desighn

Kevin, they'd rather you paid for their 1/2-azz mistake instead. (Dissimilar metals = electrolysis = corrosion.) Besides... if it wears out, breaks, falls off & disintegrates... you'll rush right back over to GM for another NEW van! Right? Right? ...

Not. My next van will be either a Sprinter or the new Nissan van of that same style. I'll be shopping for one of those after they begin being sold off following depreciation by their current fleet owners. (7 years or so from new seems to be the time-frame).

Well, that is if I can keep this Express going that long... it's in the shop now for a replacement engine. AGAIN.

Last edited by lunghd; October 21st, 2012 at 9:10 AM.
Old April 5th, 2015, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

I fixed my hinges! My hinges were so seized up I thought they would break. They would actually bend, and you had to use a lot of strength to do it. It was driving us crazy for over a year. Spray lubes hardly did anything. Here is the one thing everyone is missing. THE HINGES MUST BE CLEAN! Clean of RUST and everything else. Even tiny, tiny particles will seize the hinge. So, how do you clean them without removing them? Easy, you have got to get a can of PB Blaster. Trust me, there is something in there that eats at rust. ALSO, YOU MUST WORK ALL THE RUST AND GUNK OUT BY SUPER SOAKING IT WITH THE PB BLASTER AND OPENING AND CLOSING THE DOOR HUNDREDS OF TIMES! Have someone help you spray and swing that door. You will notice a difference after a couple of minutes, and likely a BIG difference in 10 minutes. You will SEE a stream of rust gooze out of the hinge. KEEP SOAKING IT to flush it out. Give the hinges a good 10 min. swing-flush for a couple of days, then spray lube it. All fixed! Attack it again down the road when it acts back up. I own 98 GMC Savanna. Oh yeah, be careful as the PB Blaster MAY damage the paint.

Last edited by novapawn; April 5th, 2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old April 10th, 2015, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Glad you got yours working. My replacement hinges are trying to seize up so I'll give PB a whirl.

The paint on white GM vans automagically peels off on it's own... PB Blaster can't hurt the paint on one of these vans any worse that it ends up from the factory.

Quick Reply: Side door hinge issues