Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

trailer wiring help

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2012, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring help

hey guys. this is my first post. i need some help. i have a 2009 Chevy Express 3500 and i need to hook my boat trailer up to it. hitch was no problem, but im having trouble with the wiring. this is my fourth vehicle i have wired for a boat trailer and its getting the best of me. i bought a harness and wired the the green to the right rear light and the yellow to the left rear light and the brown to the power and spliced them in with the corresponding wires on the harness. and then installed the ground wire. at first the brake lights worked and the blinkers worked. but the running lights will not work. after a few hours and some choice words later they finally started to work. they looked a little bright but i was three hours from home and was going to deal with it the next day. about half way home the lights went out on the trailer. and when i checked my tail lights were out also. could not figure out what what causing the issue. the turn signals and brake lights still worked though. finally made it home using the hazards all the way, kept the cops off of me. looked at it again today and found two blown 10 amp fuses under neath the driver seat. going to replace them so the lights work again. but any idea if it needs to be wired up any special way so the fuses dont blow? any help would be great. thanks
Old August 27th, 2012, 8:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

i dont think you can just hard wire the harness you can go to drawtite's web site and they show a specific plug in tee connector ,they show installation instructions also .
Electrical Wiring - Draw-Tite
this is the part number