Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd at much higher RPMs all of a sudden....

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2012, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd at much higher RPMs all of a sudden....

I'm in the process of buying a 2005 CHEVROLET EXPRESS CUTAWAY G3500 box van. Well....the truck had a separate issue (oil light) and the owner allowed me to take it to a Chevy dealer to get checked out. That was a simple fix and the light was resolved. I had test drove this thing the day before at both in-town and highway speeds, and transmission shifted smoothly and fine. I also used to drive this same model truck for an older company I used to work for, so I have a good feel for how they handle. The transmission fluid was the correct level, looks good, doesn't smell burnt. Truck has 74,000 miles on it.

As I'm driving this thing back from the dealership to the owners house (taking the same path as when I test drove), the transmission starts taking a long time to shift from 1st into second, at high rpm's. I wasn't romping on the gas, just driving normal, really kinda feathering it. The rest of the gears shifted fine at the right rpm's.

I've looked up the different things that can cause this....computer, broke vacuum line, etc. Main thing I'd like to know and/or rule out is....could this be a sign that the transmission is going to fail completely?

I cannot ignore the coincidence that this didn't start until AFTER the dealership had it. I've had a string of bad luck with taking vehicles into mechanics to fix one thing, then something else (more like the most random thing) jacks up shortly afterwards and I'm having to take it back to them again. Help Please
Old December 2nd, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Does it ever fail to shift from 1st to 2nd?? Any engine codes?
For me it was a failure of the ignition switch. Sometimes it supplied 12v to the shifting solenoids and sometimes it didn't, kicking the code P0758. Replacement of the ign switch cured my problem of the intermittent shifting and not shifting. Note: Each time that it did fail I would get the PCM P0758 code.
Old December 5th, 2012, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

turns out it was the wiring harness to the throttle position sensor not keeping a good connection, so the computer wasn't reading where it needed to shift in relation to the throttle