Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

transporting van's

Old May 29th, 2013, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transporting van's

OK 1 night board in a hotel room and playing on ebay has lead me to a new place.

I won two G20's vans off ebay. one a 95 coversion van which is the one I am ready to keep. the second a 94 g20 cargo van.

I need to transport these two. I am thinking if I get a uhaul car hauler can I put the cargo van on that and pull it with the conversion van

This or will put the chase car on the trailer. I am afrraid the vans won't fit on a tow dolly
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trailer will add a lot of weight. You should be able to tow the cargo van on a dolly, BUT you need to remove the driveshaft to the rear wheels. This is not hard to do, usually 4 bolts or so to the rear axle, then the shaft should pull out of the tranny. You should bring a bag and tape or bungies or something to cover the hole in the tranny if you do this or the oil will leak out.

Maybe find the specs of the width of the front end before you rent the trailer/dolly just to make sure it fits. But I think most dollies should be wide enough.

Brew
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pull the driveshaft over to the side and tie it off really well. Then you don't need to seal the back of the transmission. Tape around the bearing caps of the u-joint so you don't lose them. Someone is going with you? Have you thought about renting a car to get there and then driving both back?
Old May 30th, 2013, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah renting a car to take out of area is so extreamly expensive for the Amarillo area. The car rental places barely have enough for the weeks rentals
Old June 1st, 2013, 4:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending how far you are going, the trailer is a much safer and easier option. Safer because you have trailer brakes and easier not removing the driveshaft on a 20 year old truck.

Uhaul will be able to tell you if a G20 will fit. I think it will. Question is what is the tow rating of the other G20.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 7:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Default thanks for help

ended up towing my car home and driveing both vans. they did fine one needs a alingment and 2 tires at least

The other needs a exhaust and turn signel swith and new headlights !!
Old June 5th, 2013, 7:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it worked out. Post some pics!
Old June 6th, 2013, 3:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Default the 95 aka gladis

not bad so far ,, runs ok needs a tune up ,, put on 3 new tires and a alingment. 1 more tire to go , get drivers door adjusted and probable have hing pins replaced.
Attached Thumbnails transporting van's-dscn1100.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1101.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1102.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1103.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1104.jpg  

Old June 6th, 2013, 3:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Default The beast!! 94 cargo van

put in a new belt and coolant sensor ,, has GHETTO fabulous rims on it!!
Attached Thumbnails transporting van's-dscn1107.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1108.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1110.jpg   transporting van's-dscn1111.jpg