Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trouble starting my van

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2015, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting my van

I everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for information on how to fix my van problem. (savana 2500 1999 5.0l)

The problem start 2 weeks ago as I was trying to start the van. The engine turn but it won't start. I tought that it was my battery even if almost new so I got another one under warrenty. I went back form the store and install it back and guess what it was not starting even if it had 12.6 volts. I put the charger on and few hours later I was able to start it. Problem is after one or two day (I don't use it much) I got to put the charger back in order to start the van even if the voltage of the battery is good. Once I have it running I can shut off the engine and restart it without any problem. I have check the alternator (got something like 14.3 volt) so I guess it not the problem. I look for parasitic drain nothing there neither. I don't know if someone have ever experience the same problem because right now I'm lost and I could use some help.

Thank,
Old December 19th, 2015, 2:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Are you saying it won't start at all or does it have to crank for about 10 seconds or so before it starts? If it starts after long cranking then you need to replace the fuel pump or add a check valve in the fuel line.
Old December 19th, 2015, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

No it starting right away after charging for few hours. I also recently change the fuel filter as is was hard to start and I tought that was the problem.
Old December 19th, 2015, 5:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Long cranking on cold starts could be the spark plugs are worn, or the gaps are too big. Also the dizzy cap gets corroded (oxidation) on each of the 8 pins on the underside, as does the tip of the rotor. Take off the dizzy and sand the points and clean them up. Weak spark makes for hard cold starts.
Old December 19th, 2015, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

canucklehead I clean up the dizzy as there was some oxidation on the contact but I did not check the spark plug yet. I will look for that.

Thank,
Old January 27th, 2016, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Finally it turn out to be a weak fuel pump problem. The pressure from the pump was to low 30-35 psi.
Old January 27th, 2016, 9:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting the answer. Did you replace the pump and fuel filter?
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

The fuel filter was replace 1 month ago but the problem was still there. The van was towed to a garage at the beginning of the week for a diagnostic and they found the problem which was the weak fuel pump.

I like to post the result of a problem so it could help others peoples.
Old February 10th, 2016, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

On top of it there was also a problem with the cap distributor. They change at the same time and now everything is working just fine.
Old April 14th, 2016, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

thanks so much for posting the cure--we need more of these type of posts so others know where and what to look for--kudos