Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What does it take for a lifetime Ford E350 owner to trade up to a Express 3500??

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2013, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What does it take for a lifetime Ford E350 owner to trade up to a Express 3500??

OK, I am tired of the FORD ads on a GM site, especially for a ford f150 in the VAN forum..

I traded up to the Express 3500 6.0l because it can tow LOTS more and the Econoline is about to die from the end of production. Ford does not even have a decent replacement for it out yet this year IF you want:

A. a passenger van, NOT a truck,
B. to be able tow 6-8k camping trailers,
C. decent engine power,

I suppose this site welcomes Ford paying for ads on its site, gotta pay the bills, ah well...
Old March 25th, 2013, 5:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford Transit is supposed to replace the E series. 2013 is the last year. My understanding is that the E450 will still be produced in current form

The G series will be the last American style van. Every other van will be based on its Euro counterpart. I think this will be good for GM, however I am seeing a lot more of those Nissan vans on the road (And I kind of like them).
Old March 25th, 2013, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the Transit is the replacement, but a full powered one is still 6 months or more away. The Econoline will live on in the cutoff series (e450..)

I do like the "tall" vans, but again most are under powered if you want to tow. Even in their diesel forms most of the euro styles are not a lot of horsepower, unless you custom order them, and that can get real expensive real fast!
Old March 25th, 2013, 6:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rdw123
Yes, the Transit is the replacement, but a full powered one is still 6 months or more away. The Econoline will live on in the cutoff series (e450..)

I do like the "tall" vans, but again most are under powered if you want to tow. Even in their diesel forms most of the euro styles are not a lot of horsepower, unless you custom order them, and that can get real expensive real fast!
Agreed.. and not to mention that you can get a G3500 with a Duramax diesel.. none of the other vans can even touch that.
Old March 26th, 2013, 4:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont consider the 3500 an upgrade, at least not with a 350/5.7l. I am on engine #3 in this one and it is the last GM van I will own. Next will be a Sprinter or similar van.
Old March 26th, 2013, 4:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by lunghd
I dont consider the 3500 an upgrade, at least not with a 350/5.7l. I am on engine #3 in this one and it is the last GM van I will own. Next will be a Sprinter or similar van.
Well if you had a Ford you would probably be on transmission #3...
Old March 26th, 2013, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

You know... does not really matter what vehicle you have there will be some kind of issue. I am sure I will learn the unique issues to the 6.0l engine and the Express in general, and the many computers in all current vans, ect.

I can also list many issues with my last ford E350. But thanks to forums like these they could be identified usually. For me this Express gives me more towing in general, and that is what I need.
Old March 27th, 2013, 8:11 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by greenfire
Well if you had a Ford you would probably be on transmission #3...

Yeah, I heard about that. Some of the dually F series trucks also had an issue with that. Hey, no need to worry there - my next van will not be a Ford (or any other US brand replacement) when this express bites the dust. I'm tired of GM plastic freaking door handles that break off, common parts being discontinued by the manufacturer & motors that are the equivalent of bic lighters... disposable.

RDW - I also love the express's ride with or without a trailer & never felt that it was going to get away from me when towing.

Caveat: You have the 6.0L engine so this doesn't apply to you but for anyone with a 5.7L / 350: Be careful towing with a 5.7L engine in your express!
Mine "lost" 2+ quarts of oil doing a ~30 mile tow of my tractor on a dovetail trailer. Didn't obviously burn any oil, there was no oil underneath but it lost enough oil for check engine light to come on & had to stop & add oil right then. (Almost 3 quarts!)
There was a post somewhere about someone else who had the same thing happen under similar circumstances - hard towing for a short distance & the engine just lost oil without showing signs of leakage or obvious burning.
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(I do like the "tall" vans...)
I can't imagine why.
As a tradesman, i find it infuriating that I am no longer able to get into most underground parking lots with my 02 express. All my previous vans were about 6 foot 6. Now they are 6 foot 10 and these new European ones are over 7 feet tall.
What the hell are the designers thinking. That all jobs are in houses? That all condos have trades parking? My next van will be an older one.....
Old March 29th, 2013, 7:11 AM
CF Active Member

Yawp. Some parking garages and drive thru lanes will be a problem but not having the motor fall out will be an advantage.

Doesn't Nissan make a pickup truck style panel van that has the large cargo capacity but has a lower overhead in back? I'm thinking I saw one & wondered why it was so oddly made... it may have been designed with those concerns in mind.

Quick Reply: What does it take for a lifetime Ford E350 owner to trade up to a Express 3500??