Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

Crusty old fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2016, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crusty old fuel lines

Hi. I hope I'm posting in the right area. I recently got a 1984 Chevyvan 30 boxtruck. It's the cutaway Chevy. It has a G30 engine (350) It has sat for awhile at some point, I dont really know much history on the vehicle.
The first thing I am doing is swapping out the carb because the old one has frozen up linkages and other issues. I have the replacement carb, and I have removed the old one.
There are two lines, either fuel or vacuum, one comes from the front of the carb, one from the rear. The both go into a little rectangle plate that bolts to the manifold, the connection looks a little like a .22 cartridge with a belled lip. One of these crusted metal lines broke. One of the two bolts holding the plate on is rounded and wont turn, so just taking it off and looking hasnt worked out for me yet. Here are my questions:
1)What is this piece I'm working on? I cant even look things up without a name.Are these fuel or vacuum lines?
2)How do these lines attach to the plate, and how are they removed? Are they supposed to just pull out?
3) Is there anything on the backside of this attachment that could fall into the manifold?
For location purposes, the duct tape is covering the opening into the manifold and you are looking at the engine as seen from inside the cab.
Thanks for your thoughts and help, I am a bit in over my head here.
Chuck Tiedye
Attached Thumbnails Crusty old fuel lines-dscn1783.jpg  
Old October 21st, 2016, 3:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I take it this is a quadrajet? My "guess" is neither are fuel or vaccum, but rather this is for a hot air choke. Can you post a pix of the carb?
Old October 21st, 2016, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Ah, forgot that little detail. Yes. a Rochester Quadrajet 4 Bbl.

Rochester Quadrajet 4 Bbl
Old October 21st, 2016, 4:48 PM
CF Monarch

Did one of those lines hook into the choke, thats the black dial in front of the image?
Old October 21st, 2016, 4:51 PM
CF Monarch

The big fitting up front is the fuel input line, behind that fitting in the carb base is (or should be) a filter
Old October 21st, 2016, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the line that is unbroken hooks into the choke. And thanks for your help. Just having the name of parts is letting me look things up. IF I can pull the small piece of line that broke off flush, I will just need to replace the line? Is that a special piece or can I make one with brake line and a line bender?
Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:52 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Chuck TieDye
Yes, the line that is unbroken hooks into the choke. And thanks for your help. Just having the name of parts is letting me look things up. IF I can pull the small piece of line that broke off flush, I will just need to replace the line? Is that a special piece or can I make one with brake line and a line bender?
If you can get the plate off the intake, I'd try putting a new brake line in it, then flare it.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Being able to ask about parts by name, the parts guy just found this for me. Seems like what I need. What do you think?
Dorman HELP! 76850 - Choke Heater Tube Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Once the parts get in, if they look right, I can twist off the other old line off and have better access to the round headed bolt to remove the plate and check the loop of tubing that goes into the manifold also. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Chuck TieDye; October 22nd, 2016 at 12:21 PM.