Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

Noobie: Service 4wd light

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobie: Service 4wd light

Hello all, I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L and I'm having an issue with. The "Service 4WD" light stays on. I bought a transfer case switch for it but that didn't fix the problem. I don't have any lights glowing on the switch, none of the buttons seem to work. The truck runs fine but can't switch into Auto, 4 Lo or 4 Hi. Had a friend hook it up to his GM scanner reader but it's not showing any error codes. I'm curious if I bought the Dorman 600-101 4x4 actuator from Autozone if that would fix my problem? I'm not sure if the actuator would solve the lights in the dash or not. I also heard that it might be the Transfer Case Control Module?? I looked in the area near the emergency brake but didn't see it. I did see the "CTTF" but that's not the TCCM is it? Don't want to keep throwing money out the window. I bought some transfer case fluid for it but haven't changed it yet? What else could it be?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 3:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Probably the solenoid on the transfer case. these are a common failure item. I had to replace one on my 2000 suburban
Old November 3rd, 2016, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I'm gonna try the transfer case actuator on Saturday, just bought one from Advance Auto so I'll pick it up Friday afternoon. I hope this does it but if not I guess it'll be the transfer case control module and that looks like a tight squeeze. I'll let ya'll know how it goes...fingers crossed.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It usually is not an electronic problem. Replace the solenoid (actuator), my $ is that it's the fix. Iv'e had to replace that, and the switch, I read where you replaced the switch.
Old November 4th, 2016, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
It usually is not an electronic problem. Replace the solenoid (actuator), my $ is that it's the fix. Iv'e had to replace that, and the switch, I read where you replaced the switch.
Yeah I replaced the switch in the dash....I'll post my result when installed.
Old November 8th, 2016, 6:08 AM
CF Beginner

Well I replaced the transfer case actuator but that didn't fix the problem, so I took it back to Advance Auto. Well the only other thing I can think that it might be is the (TCCM) Transfer Case Control Module. That looks like it might be a job taking the dash out and whatnot. I looked for it but didn't see it. I did see the CTTF, I'm guessing it above that?
Old November 8th, 2016, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

If I remove the transfer case control module can I still drive the truck? Just curious.