Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1990 Chevy pickup No Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Chevy pickup No Fuel Issue

Hi new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help.

I have had my 1990 Chevy pickup, TBI - 5.7L - 4WD,for along time and its been a great vehicle. My truck has been sitting for awhile now, like a year. In the winter I drove it too the dump to drop off some trash and noticed it was severely lacking in power. I parked the truck and forgot about it for a few months until the weather got warmer. I got in it again and the engine was running great. Until that is when I was in traffic and it just died.

I towed it back to my house and I have been trying to trouble shoot this. My engine will run very shortly if I pour a tiny bit of gas into the carbfrom a Gerry can. So that makes me think the ignition is working. I tested the fuel pressure coming from the fuel pump, dead headed, and it was about 14psi. I do not see fuel being sprayed into the carb when I crank. If I leave the ignition turned on, And I put 12Volts to one of the injectors, then fuel does start dripping into the carb. I checked for codes by the flashing lights and nothing comes up.

I should add that I have checked the Injectors fuse and it is good. I have 12V to the + side of the injector wire. Not sure how to check the wires going back to the ECU. Do I do a continuity check while cranking to Ground?

Is it possible that the ECU is telling the injectors not to spray for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2008, 1:53 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 1990 Chevy pickup No Fuel Issue

Get a noid light kit to test for an output from the ECM. Do not try to use a test light as you may burn out the output from the ecm.
Problem sounds like either a bad ECM, or the wiring to the injector.

Here's a link to a noid light kit. Any jobber should carry them
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...t-AST7898.HTML
Old May 21st, 2008, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thanks for the input. Just thought I would come back and tell you what the issue was. Ended up being a faulty ignition module.
Old May 21st, 2008, 6:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear you figured it out. Its nice to have some feedback on what the problem accually was. A lot of people do not let us know if the advice we gave worked, or if they found the problem on their own.
thanks for the reply and hope you stick around for a while