Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy 289???

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 289???

A co-worker and I in locked in combat. He is trying to tell me that Chevy made a 289. I am trying to tell him that a 289 is a Found On Road Dead motor and not a Chevy/GM motor. he wants to put money on this. looking on the web I see an ad for a 1946 chevy 289. so I am now unsure if I want to put up cash for this bet.

Help me out. Did Chevy make such an animal?

Thanks
Soundplus
Old September 5th, 2007, 6:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Chevy 289???

Hate to say it but being born in 55 its just a little before my time but I can find out directly.
I do know Chevrolet and Ford both made a 302 in the late 60's. Gimme a day or so and I'll find proof one way or the other.
Old August 24th, 2010, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

chevy made the 283 ford made the 289 so dont waste your money betting
and chevy made the 305 and ford made the 302
Old August 24th, 2010, 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

chevy did have the dz 302 in '69 camaro's.
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Soundplus09Camaro,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

More than likely, in some obscure form, likely somewhere in some foreign country,in some unknown-to -us-model, Chevy DID actually technically make a 289.

But not recently, domestically, or popularly.

This sounds like a trick question, and after a few hours of research, I'd love to know the true answer.

OW MY EYES ARE BLEEDING NOW!
Old August 26th, 2010, 3:46 AM
Super Moderator

OK, if it's the Studebaker Hawke 289, that's an AVANTI R1. NOT a GM engine. Studebaker was a GM competitor of which GM had partial ownership.

Studebaker never was accepted as a GM nametag, and never incorporated with GM. Studebaker used Chevy 6s and 8s, but they were standard Chevy CIDs, and at no point did GM manufacture a 289 CID engine for Studebaker as a "chevy" engine.

We can eliminate the 1917 SERIES D V8-288 CID--OOPS, close, but no cigar. Relying primarily on variations of the famous "stovebolt six" and a small variety of four bangers for nearly 4 decades, a thorough research of Chevy history shows that they made no more V8s until the advent of the 265 CID, and shortly thereafter, the 283 in the 1950s.

Could he possibly be referring to the Pratt & Whitney R2800, a 4.7L aviation engine never used in cars? There was an all-out, all manufacturers, standing order throughout WWII to build as many of these as quickly as possible for the war effort. Chevrolet, as well as Ford, Nash and almost a dozen other manufacturers built them to P&W specs and parameters. The "Double Wasp", a two-row, 18 piston,air-cooled, radial engine, is technically a 289CID, but not a standard nor proprietary engine by Chevy, or ever used in it's motor vehicles.

Ultimately, 125,334 Double Wasp aircraft engines eventually were produced, for use in a surprisingly large variety of Allied aircraft. At Chevrolet, On January 30, 1942,during the height of WWII, all manufacturing of domestic motor vehicles was switched to wartime production. As well as various bombs casings, shells, and a massive amount of other war materials for the Allied effort, Chevrolet had the proud distinction 0f having manufactured a staggering 60,000 P&W R2800 engines, almost half of the overall total made.

Now, as to the bet, how was the question about the "289 engine" worded, exactly, again? Did he ever say "V8"-289, for example?

Or clean out your co-worker's earwax: "Shelby" and "Chevy", two different vehicles...

Last edited by therewolf; August 29th, 2010 at 6:14 AM.
Old September 9th, 2010, 7:43 AM
Super Moderator

YO, WHA HAPPENED? Perspiring minds want to know...