Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

3.4 Firebird spewing oil

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2008, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.4 Firebird spewing oil

Hi,
I just bought a 95 Firebird w/3.4 motor. I got it home and it's smoking from the driver's underneath and when I popped the hood there was smoke coming up from the engine too. The oil shows a little over full. There is enough oil leaking to cause it to be on the back bumper. I read that there's a head gasket problem with the 3.4s. Can a head gasket leak oil? I thought it only leaked antifreeze. The oil looks ok. Still black. It's hard to tell where the oil's leaking from because it's all over. I did notice the power steering hose looked worn and replaced it. Smoke was gone for a couple days, but now it's back again. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3.4 Firebird spewing oil

you dont happen to live in illinois do you? heh i ask because i have a friend that owns a firebird with the 6 cylinder and it would smoke more than any chainsmoker in a year. going down teh highway we had a blue cloud that covered the whole lane. and yes a gasket can leak oil. perhaps its coming from the valve covers.
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

break down and clean all the oil up from the engine get a friend to help and start it up and watch for oil...check the filter too youll be amaized how many people will either break the gasket or not screw them all the way in
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Have you checked the oil pressure sending unit. I have seen the plastic center of the unit separate from the brass and start leaking. When it blows out, it will empty the crankcase in short order. You might also check the oil filter. Fram made a run of GM filters that had a defective gasket material. It sealed fine when first started, but after the engine ran a while and got hot, the gasket material would soften and leak. There is a TSB on this for certain Chevy models. Not sure about Pontiac.