Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

86 scottsdale problems.

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 scottsdale problems.

hello everyone i am the new owner of an 86 scottsdale shortbox pickup, the truck i bought seems to run strong to me there are just a few problems i would like some advice on.

1. when i put the truck from drive to park it kicks real hard and just wants to go. is that a tranny problem? i check the fluid level on the dipstick it said add one pint. where do i add fluid? would you recommend a complete drain and refill? what kind of fluid to use?

2. when i start the truck it idles pretty heavy and sometimes i have to tap the gas a little to get it to start up all the way. the previous owner said it needs "carb work" any ideas on what this could be

3. when i cut the wheel all the way in either direction there is an obnoxious squelling noise.. to me its the power steering pump.. does this mean its going bad or is it normal.

thanks for all the help in advance everyone
Old January 14th, 2011, 8:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#3. Dont do that! You re damaging stuff! It is the belt slipping on the pulley.

#2. Carb. adjustment of the throttle plate.

#1. Probably because your idle is too high. You add fluid in the same place you pulled the dipstick. You will need a narrow funnel.
Old January 15th, 2011, 1:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, make sure u check the trans fluid while running, as for the carb the choke may need an adjustment, it is a carbereted vehicle they end up having problems once in a while