Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

87 307 problems

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2007, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 307 problems

i have a 87 caprice wagon with the 307. has been running OK for the last month or so ( only had it a short time) it has always been gut less wont even spin the tires in the rain on slick concret. i put a flowmaster that i had laying around. well 2 weeks ago it started running rough when it gets warm. it has just kept getting worse. now it shifts fast when you pull out tries to go straight to over drive and when you slow down it trys to die and does not want to down shift. you have to pul shifter down through gears to down shift. checked fluid and its fine. also decided to put new plugs in it and i swear it runs worse now then before. it also smells like its running rich. now the last 2 days its not even wanting to idle it dies anytime you let off the gas this thing has me lost. motor looks all stock very clean was an old mans. i pulled cats off and you can see through them so there clear. and like i say the longer you drive it the worse it runs any help? i was going to adjust the timing it loos very retarted but i dont see how to adjut the dist. as theres not even a lock down on it
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 87 307 problems

IfI was going to guess I'd say it might be the vacuum diaphram on the right rear of the transmission has either become disconnected or has broken it's not hard to change make sure you check both ends and anywhere in between on the vacuum line,thats what I'd check first. if that is fine do a compression test, and if that is OK you might be having a cam going flat witch 307's are known for. where did you find a caprice wagon with a 307 in it? the last year they put them in anything was 1973... just curious