Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

89 chevy beretta 2.0 spark!

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 chevy beretta 2.0 spark!

Hello, New here. Ok, I have a 1989 chevy beretta 2.0L 4cyl car. Was driving car down road and it just died. Car would crank and not start, no spark, let it sit overnight and it would then start and run with spark, ran rough though. Car would idle for 3 min then die and not restart for hours, again no spark.
Replaced crankshaft sensor, the car now has spark but will not start. The spark is irratic, may go seconds without any then ther will be a burst of spark all at once while cranking engine over. All the car will do is backfire through the throttle body.
Then went ahead and tested the Igintion Control Module at o'reillys and it tested good twice. Dont know what to do now.
I cant believe the valve timing is off, it almost has to be spark being it comes and goes like it does. Gets good gas to throttle body.
Plug wires all look good shape. All 4 plugs get the same come-and-go spark.
What to do now???????
Thanks for any input.
Old May 20th, 2009, 2:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

was the ign mod hot when they tested it? most ignition modules fail when the engine warms up which sounds like your case.
Old May 20th, 2009, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the guy showed me how hot it was. But that does not seem to matter as it does not get hot cus it never gets to start. Any other ideas? Am I missing somthing here? Could it be the main computer under the dash? Thanks for the reply.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Any other ideas, I just dont see anything wrong here. What are the chances it is the main computer under the dash?
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trust Shawn's opinion, the module may just be totally dead now. Kinda like a flouresent light bulb going bad , it just flickers randomly. You wont be able to see it bad, Isnt there a test with a voltmeter that can tell you for sure? anyone?

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 21st, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

It was after the car would not even start at all is when I tested it at the parts store. It passed twice. Must be an OK part then. Would coils have anything to do with it.? I wouldnt think that both sets would go unless they are linked together.?
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

How old are the plugs?
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

The plugs are old but would all 4 act the same with the hit-and-miss spark? Have cleaned them, but I wouldnt think they would all go at the same time. I could try a spark plug that I have layin around and try it in one wire. Would the computer have anything to do with this?
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Tryed a new plug from a snowmobile and I get the same results. Compression is around 150 on all 4 cylinders.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I am not sure about the computer, I am still learning about them. If the plugs are old , get new ones, you might be surprised, if not , they were due anyway.

Quick Reply: 89 chevy beretta 2.0 spark!