Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

ABS Problems on Z71

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Problems on Z71

Guys I'm new here so please be nice to my ignorant questions,trying to educate myself alittle so I can start back making some of the minor auto repairs and hopefully save alittle money.I know that some repairs should be left to the pros,but due to my pay and lack of raises I need to do some of the repairs myself..I have a 1999 4-wheel drive Z71 1500 series w/3.5L motor.We have only had it for about 6mos,so I really don't know the history on it.I just pick it up from the repair shop and had a tune up,idler pulley and acouple of other small issues.While talking to the mechanic about the repairs he had investigated the ABS light that stays on,says that we have a major problem.(Sticker place over lite for inspection)He says that the bladder is bad and its around 1500(part only).So here comes the educate part,I did a search on abs bladders and nothing comes up except people w/real bladder problems.Is this a nick name given to a part,what is a abs bladder,and is this something that a person w/limited skills can handle?Thanks from a newbe:Brokedown
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Ok, that's a new one to me too. I wonder if he's referring to an accumulator?
I'd recommend getting a second opinion. Have them pull the codes, if any, and go from there. Brakes have gotten so complicated with these ABS systems that I generally divide the system into 2 parts. If the problem is in the system AFTER the steel brake lines leave the BPMV (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve) then it's usually something an enthuiest or weekend warrior can handle. Anything before that valve and you're better off leaving it to a professional who has the tools, training and warranty.
Old July 7th, 2009, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

I had a 2000 Z-71 with ABS problems. It was the Electronic Control Brake Module. It is a common problem in the 99-2000 range. If you go to http://www.absfixer.com/ and read, they will tell you how to remove the module and send it in for repair. The module is located on the frame approximately under the drivers seat and has all the brake lines connected to the box. You only have to remove the top half of the box and can still use the truck while the module is in for repair. Just as it is now, the ABS portion of the brakes won't work.
Old July 7th, 2009, 4:29 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Just keep your distance from the people in front of you without ABS! From experience they aren't that sensitive but still, it's better to stay safe than sorry. Pumping is key.

Deez
Old July 8th, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Abs

Thanks guys for the advice and the link to have the module repair.I do want to get it fix,so next time it will pass inspection.Boy,theres alot of information here,very nice place----Thanks again brokedown