Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Aftermarket wheels on new silverado...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels on new silverado...Help!!

Hey guys, I have a problem with my aftermarket wheels. I bought 22's for my 07 silverado and it has completely changed my ride comfort. Ive had them on there for about 2 weeks and it shakes like crazy between 60-70 mph. It also shakes bad when i brake hard. I have had the wheels balanced twice and its not that. Someone told me about spacers the new chevy's have for the stock wheels that you have to take out for aftermarket wheels. Is this true? Ive never had a problem with my stock wheels. Any ideas on what is wrong? Thanks.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you just have to accept some of the bad with the good. You've sized up your wheels to the critical point, and now the tire profile is so low you don't have enough(tire) air between you and the road. Do you think we all have 16" rims with high profile tires just because we like them?

NOOOO, the reason we have high-profile tires with smaller rims is because instead of just looking good (and driving under 40MPH) we need our tires to do the job for which they were specifically designed.

It's doubtful spacers or anything else is going to compensate for a massive lack of air cushion.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Ride quality is one thing, but shaking? At first I thought that's a for sure balance issue but once you said you balanced them twice I'm lost. I don't see how low profile tires could deplete ride quality to the point of shaking badly but then again I don't know anything about these tires as well. I've always had 35" tires or bigger lol.

Have you checked alignment maybe?

Deez
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shaking is not normal no matter what size the wheels are. Shaking while braking and shaking while driving are different problems. Most likely your rotors were warped because who ever put the wheels on did not torque them properly and evenly. As far as shaking while driving you need to take them to a shop that has a Hunter GSP 9700 road force balancer to have them road forced and match mounted. No wheel or tire are perfectly road, some tires are worse than others. The machine had the ability to measure it and check for a hard spot in the tire, then it tells you where to match mount the wheel to the rim for the most true assembly. I could balance a brick and it would rotate balanced but would still hop if you tried to roll it. Alignment WILL NOT cause a vibration. If it did not vibrate before it has to be the wheels and tires. I can put up to 26" wheels on my machine and when I am done the truck will not vibrate at all.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

My daughter wanted to put 18's on her Malibu ('05) and took of the 15's. We balanced and aligned and farted with that damn thing for months on end. As it ended up, we replaced the rotors and installed a higher quality tires before the shimmying stopped. Like the technical folks say, it could be anything or all of the above....
Old July 16th, 2009, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Well im gonna take it to a chevrolet stealership tomorrow and have a friend balance them on their tire machine. He says the "mexican" (i can say that because im half...lol) tire shop prob didnt have the right machine to balance them. Hopefully it will fix the shaking....if not im selling the damn wheels and putting the stock one's back on. I have brand new Toyo tires on the rims.....305/40/22.
Old July 16th, 2009, 6:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Or possibly it could be the rims themselves are out of balance-either bent in shipping or a manufacturing defect- it only takes one... perhaps by rotating them around the truck you can find the culprit.

Not for nuthin'-305-40-22? Standard sizes are closer to 245-75-16 or 235-70-15. When you drop that much tire height out of the equation you're just going to have to settle for winding up with beautiful, (albeit squirrely handling) wheels, to some degree, IMO.

You just can't have it all.

Looks Great

Rides Great

Low Cost(This is VERY relative.)...:

P I C K -- A N Y-- T W O
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:34 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

I bet it's a bad balance. I had to get my tires balanced twice to get them right. They took over 16oz of weight!!!

Deez
Old July 17th, 2009, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

I do also think its a bad balance. I went to one of those small tire shops and i bet they didnt have the right machine for 22" rims. Like i said before im taking them to a stealership today to get them done. I will post later today what happens.
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Well i took my truck to a chevy stealership and got my tires roadforce checked and balanced. It now rides like a cadillac. The shop that i originally took it to didnt have the right wheel balance machine so they where way off. They also put all of the weights on the outside of the rims. Anyway its all fixed and i really appreciate all the advice....thanks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels on new silverado...Help!!