Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

blown engine/knocking...what's my options?

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine/knocking...what's my options?

Hi, I just got a 98' C1500, auto. 150k. Has a 4.3 eng.code "w" rpo-L35. truck seems all original and very solid! I want to keep costs to a minimum "within reason" also thinking of just storing(outside) till spring since it's 2WD and winter is here. I do like keeping things original but not sure of extent of internal damage/wear, she is rapping pretty good, was driven another 10 or so miles after failure I'm told. I'm wondering ...would a V-8 from same or approx.year drop right in and work? I know I'd probably have to do something with the radiator shroud. Or just keep it 4.3. I also see they went to an updated 4.3 rpo-LU3 in 03' which has the improved fuel system?

Last edited by Bill's Dad; October 16th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old October 16th, 2009, 4:02 PM
CF Veteran

Default knock

i would just pull the engine and see how bad it is before you just talk about changing engine size's if you want to keep it stock .4.3 better mileage ect.might just need bearing's . better evaluate it first before you start a major job .
Old October 16th, 2009, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Yea, I suppose you're right...
Old October 17th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Maybe repair for under $500.00 if no machining work is done. crank kit-$225.00, wonder what it would cost to have my cranks turned w/bearings....any other machining? Then I have to hope the block is OK....
anybody know if this truck has the same dreaded fuel injector system(spider w/poppets) that goes bad? They change over to "MFI" correct?
Old October 17th, 2009, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I do have a 97' 4.3 "X" motor from a 2wd S10 I was going to use in another S-10 but that scenario isn't looking good now. would that work? Probably.
Is the only difference between them the output/torque via the internal components specs?? wonder if everything would hook right up the same Then I might just hang on to the L35 to rebuild at a later date......I just updated the x to MFI 10,000 miles ago. I don't know if the W has the old style yet, if so, I should plan on an update if I go that route. I guess I might be able to sell the X motor for 3-500. decisions/decisions..LOL!

I'm thinking the Jaspers are going to be higher than I'm wanting to spend + the fact I have a couple options already...I'll check the cost though..
Old October 17th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Gary
What is the bolt pattern on the "X"s intake??.
Geez, I dunno...I just checked the gaskets set at store and both motors use the same part#...is that what you mean?

Update: It seems these 2 engines are completely the same with the exception the W motor produces 10hp more via the camshaft.

Last edited by Bill's Dad; October 18th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

well I got everything ready to go today...now I just gotta get a picker to get it on the stand!lol
Attached Thumbnails blown engine/knocking...what's my options?-engine-removal.jpg