Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

New Ignition Cylinder, Now Solid "Security" light on.

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2014, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ignition Cylinder, Now Solid "Security" light on.

Hello everyone,

This is a general GM Pass 2 key security and ignition type thread.

I have a 2005 Impala. The cylinder for the key locked up physically, so I replaced the ignition cylinder with a new one. (They come with a new sensor on the cylinder). I did the long "relearn" procedure and the key worked fine for a while. However, I sometimes got the wonderful "no start" until I waited for 10 minutes deal about once a week or so.

Then I read about bypassing the piece of **** pass 2 system by adding a small resistor on one of the 3 wires going to the ignition.

This worked perfectly, for months and months I've never once had the car NOT start. It starts perfectly, every time.

However, the security light is solidly on at all times.

How can I get rid of the solid security light? I've tried doing the long method of the relearn procedure but it does not remove the security. (The car starts anyways).

Is there any way possible for me to remove the security light?

thanks,
rick
Old December 19th, 2014, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

I should have been more specific on the question.

Am I correct in thinking that with a GM code reader, the security light can be turned off? If I understand correctly, even though my car learned the new code from the new ignition cylinder and that is what the car starts fine, the BCM does not like the signal and is displaying a failure of it which is the security light being solidly on.

So can't I have the code reader turn off/ignore the failure reading?

Is there an inexpensive code reader that I can do this myself with?
Old January 8th, 2015, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

I'm surprised no one else has had this issue before? The Passlock 2 system is a very common problem I had thought before.

Has anyone else used the 2.2K ohms resistor method to bypass the system but then had the annoying solid security light that never goes off?

Car starts perfect every time now but I want to removed the solid security light.

How can I do this?