Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cat going bad?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat going bad?

I have a 1999 Express 2500 van 5.7L. I bought it used in 2005 with 49K miles on it. Right now I have 86k on it.

I am in a band and pull a trailer so the majority of miles are highway. This past year I have had two instances where there was power loss. The first time about 6 months ago, we were going up a slight incline and I noticed that I was only going 40mph with my foot to the floor. I had it in 3rd gear as always due to the trailer. We pulled over at a gas station and filled the tank with premium and some fuel injector cleaner. After about 10 minutes, we started it up and it ran finesince.

Just this past friday, when driving it up a hill without the trailer and in Drive, it lost power again for a few seconds and then kicked back in. Drove it around for a while and it didn't do it again.

When I drove it home tonight, Wed, it ran fine, but when I got outI noticed a slight burning sulfery smell. I looked under the front driver's side wheel well and noticed an orange glow from around the engine on the other side of the plastic surrounding the wheel well. It was dark so I couldn't see what was causing the glow.

I have also had instance where I would be at a stop sign or waiting to turn with my foot on the brake and the van starts bucking forward. If I put it in neutral, the bucking stops immediately.

I've read articles from different sites thatwhat I have been experiencing aresymptoms of the cat being blocked or broken. Is this my problem and how can I verify that this is it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack