Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Evap issues

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 1:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap issues

Hi. I have a 2006 monte carlo, engine light came on. I got the code read at the local auto store but forgot the code and am not able to purchase a scanner. I think it was 455, although I do know it was an EVAP code.

My problem is I can not find the purge solenoid or charcoal canister to inspect them. I found what I thought was the canister underneath rear driver fender well next to the gas cap, but the top came off easily and it was just an empty plastic bottle...no gas smell or anything. I have no clue what part that was but a google of it's part number showed it to be of the EVAP can patent.

Also, is it possible to use the Driver Information Console to show a code? I know on some Dodge and higher Chevy models (like the vettes) you can.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:03 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0455 code discription

Symptoms

You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
Causes

A code p0455 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
  • A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
  • A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
  • Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system
Possible Solutions

With a p0455, the most common repair is to:
  • Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
  • Otherwise, replace the gas cap, and/or
  • Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't smell any fuel anywhere when I crawl underneath my car. It did however give me a gas cap error in the DIC but it has not said that anymore, just the engine light. I had the code cleared awhile ago but no new cap, does the re installation of the gas cap really do anything?.. I mean, it just twists on...

I'm really hesitant about disconnecting the battery and clearing the codes, I like how the ECM has my car driving. I know it sounds silly but :/

I am getting noticeably less gas mileage and my remote start will not function because of the MIL being on.

Last edited by newmonte06; September 23rd, 2009 at 2:30 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:29 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

The gas cap has a breather valve in it, it may be bad. You can have the cap tested at any local auto shop that does smog checks.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

I do have a multimeter, is it a solenoid? I saw there is some device with wiring going to it that I found near the gas cap, but I do not know what it is. It' some small canister with a nylon mesh filter inside the cap and a hose coming out with a positive and negative lead.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Your gas cap has nothing electrical on it, just a one way breather valve. Id just get the cap checked to start. They hook an air line to it and test it for leaks.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; September 23rd, 2009 at 2:42 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, i will have to try that myself though as I have $0 to spend. What is that part I found? It's hose goes parallel with the fuel line form the gas cap to the tank.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

That would be a part of your evap system. I am sure you can get it tested for less than $5 or free if you find the right guy, it takes less than a minute, thats the only way you will know if it meets standards.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok i know what you meant about the one way valve. I don't see the one I usually see on my other cars, the fill line goes straight to the tank there is no metal valve right on the top of the opening where the nozzle for a gas pump would go. So unless it's further down...

As to that other part I assumed it was part of my EVAP system but I could smell no gas or anything when I opened it up. it looked perfectly clean O.o I've done a lot of reading on the EVAP system in general but it is hard to find documentation for my car. Monte Carlos seem to be non-existent. I think I'm the only one that drives one...
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

If it is your cap, you have nothing to worry about until you try to pass smog. If you like the way it runs now and you dont need a smog then let it be, it will keep your CE light on though.

Quick Reply: Evap issues