Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Front Bilstein 5100 Shock - Cant't Get To Fit

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2016, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bilstein 5100 Shock - Cant't Get To Fit

Am trying to install Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks and having a major problem trying to get the new shock to fit back in. I have followed the shock instructions to the T along with the shock install guide on this site and it's like the shock it is too long when I go to put it on. I can't get the shock to fit onto on the lower T-Bar mount as it sticks down to far.

I have removed the upper ball joint nut and steering linkage as I intend to also install the Rough Country (1307) 2" Front End Leveling Kit. I have pushed the bar down as for as it will go. Something is way off because I should be able to fit the shock and the RC Kit on the bar but I can't even fit the shock!

Another thing I am confused on is I can't compress the shock at all once I install on the OEM spring. Even tried using the lift under the shock and it just raised the front end of the truck up! Please advise in any way ASAP. Thanks guys!

Old September 29th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct shock for your application?
Old September 30th, 2016, 5:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i use a pry bar inserted under the shock and on top of the control arm. this pushes the shock up and prys the c/a down at the same time. It may be hard to do with the truck so low to the ground.