Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

99 Express high idle

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Express high idle

I just got a 99 express with a salvaged title. I think I got a good deal but now I am getting nervous. I test drove it 2 different times and it was great both times. I decided to take the leap and bought it. While I was driving it home it started to rev as I drove it down the road. (Makes for an interesting time at the stop liget) At first I thought the cruise wouldn't kick off. I pulled the fuse and the problem remained. As I drove it it gradually increased speed. The throttle cable moves freely. I havent removed the engine cover to take a look at the throttle body yet. I just am wondering if this is a common problem in that vintage van. ANy thoughts or suggestions. It isn't regestering any codes either.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Bubbentt,

I've never heard of this issue plaguing Chevy Expresses before but I have heard that it is a common issue with certain, older Saturn sedans. The solution usually involves cleaning out the throttle body. Try using WD-40 or Throttle body cleaner to blast out any carbon deposits that may have formed on the TB.

Additionally, it wouldn't hurt to check your accelerator cable for any kinks. Trace the entire cable and test it to ensure that the tension is within an acceptable range. To view the layout of your accelerator cable, go to here, click 'Get Info' button listed after Parts Listing and a window will pop up. Click the 'Go' button and the diagram will display.

I'll try to formulate more possible causes for your issue as soon as possible
Old August 19th, 2011, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a lot.

Last night I took the cover off inside the van and found that the throttle wasn't quite returning all the way. It was sticking just a bit before it closed up. After a little push and it closed all the way. Then I took it for a test drive. About 2 miles in it did it again. So the next time douced it with with WD-40 after I pushed it back into place. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and it seemed fine. Since the cable moves freely so I think the problem is on or in the throttle body itself. I am planning on changing the cap, rotor, plugs and wired so while I am at it I am going to get some carb cleaner and scrub inside the throtle body a little.
<!-- / message -->