Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need to replace my fuel line tube?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace my fuel line tube?

Hi guys, first time here.

I have a 1996 chevy cavalier that I just brought in to Firestone last night because I smelled gas whenever I came to a stop sign or stop light.. but I never saw puddles under the car whenever I left it at work or at home, and they said it only leaks when I drive it.

They quoted me almost $400 to replace the entire fuel line on the bottom of the car and to replace the 3 or 4 pieces that connect it to the car-- I don't have that kind of money so I need to figure out how hard this is to do myself!

All they said is it was leaking somewhere under the car, not far from the gas tank. They said it would take them 3 hours to fix the problem themselves. All they said was they were going to replace the tubing on the bottom of the car.

How can that be $400 worth of parts and labor?

Has anyone replaced these before? I could use some insight.
Old May 12th, 2007, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need to replace my fuel line tube?

if it is a pressure line, it is costly, i have rplace lines for about anyting you can think of, and there is nothing at 400 $, i use the 3/8s fule line and there is no problem, just make sure you use the right connectors for the job . you do need pressure fittinge for the line and it will go application, you can get them at the local auto store, take your fuel tank doun locate the leak and take it off and make another one same length and all and replace it. make sure you get the pressure fuel line.

Hope it helps
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Need to replace my fuel line tube?

If the car has a charcoal cannister to catch evaporative emissions, check the vacuum control valve on it. If it fails, the captured gas is never recovered by the engine and eventually the charcoal becomes saturated and leaks raw gas.