Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need transmission help please

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2008, 6:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need transmission help please

Quick overveiw: Truck has 280,000 miles. Just put newGophermotor in (less than 500 miles). Tranny is toast (again!) original tranny out at 50,000/replaced under warranty. That tranny died in 03, replaced with a Jasper tranny. That tranny died in 05, replaced under Jasper warranty (current toasted tranny). Tranny is a 4L60E. My question is this: Is there a better/ more durable transmission that I can put in as a replacement? Something that will bolt right in or close to it without major modifications? Something that will last more than 75,00 miles?

This is a work truck but by no means is it overworked. The only really heavy duty task it does is pull a 6600lb skidsteer (bobcat) occasionally, less than 10 times a year and not more than 50 miles one way.

I haven't done alot of research, but I have heard that these trannys had issues, either that or I keep getting lemons? Truck is at the shop right now while he works up numbers for me. I was planning on sticking with another Jasper mainly for the warranty (3 years 100,00 miles). But if I can correct the issue of a weak design I would be very happy!

P.S. tranny price from Jasper was 1805.00. Then labor and fluid on top of that. Just for reference.
Thanks All!
Dave
Old April 22nd, 2008, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Need transmission help please

i am unsure of that. jasper makes a pretty good transmission. here is my question. have you been using the same torque converter? from jasper to jasper and what not? a side note. instead of paying some one that much money save your self that extra thousand . they make books that will tell you step by step how to rebuild your transmission. normally you can go to a parts store and get a rebuild kit for your transmission for 800-900 dollors and do it your self.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

When I stated that I heard there was a problem with the tranny I didn't mean Jasper, I meant the 4L60E tranny itself. Jasper even confirmed that this particular tranny has had the most updates of any tranny they redo. Jasper supplies a fresh torque converter with the tranny. The only thing I can think of that could be the problem would be debris from the previous tranny caught up in the cooler on the radiator, so I am replacing the radiator this time. After looking into the end cap where the cooler is, I cannot see how you could totally clean all the crap out even by flushing. It's just too cramped. Also this is the only item that wasn't replaced for the 2 previous trannies and they both died at slightly over 2 years. We'll see how this works out this time.

As far as rebuilding my own tranny goes, well, as I stated in my post I just put a new motor in the truck and along with that replaced the A/C system, which requires removing the complete dash to get at the evaporator. Gutted the interior (well the seats and console anyways)to facilitate working in the dash/firewall area along with the ability to completely clean the interior of the truck. Cleaned ALL the interior components of the truck, repaired damaged heat duct parts, tore apart the stereo and cleaned it and got the CD player working again, replaced the blower motor, replaced all the burned out bulbs in the dash, etc, etc, etc. After all of this I was not in the mood to tear into a tranny , even tho I have helped rebuild a couple before. I had my fill of the truck, so someone else can take care of the tranny. I've been wrenching for 35 years +/-, not professionally, but rarely do any of my vehicles go to the shop and all of my vehicles are extremely reliable (Harleys included). That and the fact that I can easily make the money to pay for the tranny repairing ATV's on the side (have 3 in the garage right now) I don't have to lay on my back and they are much easier to work on.
Old April 24th, 2008, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have the tools to rebuild the trany it's difficult. I put a 4L80E trany in my K1500 Burb...after rebuilding it...but was able to make the necessary tools.
This is the only 'better' tranny to install...but it's not a direct swap.
Actually...now thatI think of it...look into a 4L65E.
Old April 24th, 2008, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Could have **** in your coooler and lines, Check ur linkages make sure they dont get hung up half way or n gear but not really in, THe one killer of transmission is heat and load, does your bobcat n trailer have brakes, GM usually has reliable trannys, compared to the ram pickups, which r know as beng soft, Do u check ur fluid levels, I usually get a tranny for 300 to 500 used from greenleaf auto usually a 1 year warranty...If u still r blowing trannys, look at what kinda load n temperatures you ar dealing with in your climate, For your load u might have to go alittle heavier duty.