Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

nitrogen on tires

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrogen on tires

I'm new to this nitrogen air on tires because my old car has ordinary air on it.

Just got a question on this.

Is it OK If I fill it with ordinary air as soon as my tire pressure goes down? Or do I have to inflate the entire tire and put ordinary air?

I live in toronto area and I don't know what are it's advantages on cold weather.
Old April 1st, 2009, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was curious, so I researched this. Nitrogen is @ 98% pure, if you purchase it to put it in your tires. If you put "air" in your tires, it's 84% nitrogen already, and they are fat molecules compared to oxygen, which is what generally leaks out of your tires. So every time you fill with "air", you're increasing the nitrogen mix to very close to the 98% for which they charge you extra.

IMO, a waste of money, because if you refill your tires regularly, you've got mostly nitrogen by now anyway.
Old April 1st, 2009, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard it rides better and increases fuel economy.
Whether it rides better, I don't know. I have never ridden on a N fill.
The only thing that would increase your fuel economy is getting the pressure in your tires more precise than you can get it with a cheap pressure gauge. That in itself has nothing to do with what its filled with.
Old April 1st, 2009, 9:34 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Exactly what river and evan said....Its a bigger molecule so when\if it does leak, it'll leak slower.
So my having slower leaking tires, they stay at proper pressures longer giving you a smoother ride, better gas mileage etc etc etc.

Also, as rivereye said, There is a very high percentage of nitrogen in the air we breathe everyday. That same air is used to fill compressors in shops, so IMO, nitrogen filled tires are a huge waste of money
Old April 1st, 2009, 9:48 PM
CF Veteran

Helium maybe?? Heard about farmers in Texas using propane to fill tires when compressed air wasn't available too. Just joking folks.

Last edited by Gwampa; April 1st, 2009 at 9:51 PM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
CF Monarch

lol.
I know several guys who are guilty of using reclaimed or contaminted Chlorodiflouromethane to fill their tires.... at least before the EPA outlawed the release of it!

It didn't leak out either.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
CF Junior Member

One of the claims for the use of nitrogen in tires is that in changing temperatures the nitrogen has less fluctuation in pressure than air.

I would run nitrogen is my vehicle, but I am constantly changing pressure due to varying loads put in the bed.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Thanks for your inputs.

So nitrogen only maintains the tire pressure longer... I'm also new at this since when they deliver my car they said that the tires are loaded with nitro air.

I just said "Oh yeah?" without even saying " What the hell is that?"

thanks again
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Now, gas shocks on the other hand, if you like a firm ride and good suspension response,are the way to go. Got my first set of Nitrogen shocks over 25 years ago, and I've never looked back.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 1Gary
I think the idea stems from what is used in airplane tires.
In which the tire fill isn't supposed to increase its pressure with a loss in atmospheric pressure.
Airplane tires when filled with atmospheric air, can vary up to 14 psig depending on the altitude. Nitrogen must lower that effect...

I have Nitro shocks on the Camaro and I have been trying to find them for the Blazer. I love em!

Last edited by EvansBlue; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: nitrogen on tires