Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

please help.. 1990 cavalier z24

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help.. 1990 cavalier z24

Over the weekend my car was taken for a joyride. On top of the window being smashed out, there was also leaking gas and a transmission problem. I am not very concernced aboutthe gas or window because they are easy to fix, but the transmission is bothering me. Basically, the clutch pedal is now very loose and the shifter shifts without the clutch being in. I know it is most likely, the clutch itself but i dont want to admit it because it makes me mad thinking about it. Any help would be appreciated for why : the clutch pedal is loose, the shifter shifts without the clutch, there is no engine turnover at all, just the starter.
The battery is good in the car and i have never had a problem with any other motor stuff.
I have heard these things from other ppl as possible causes : woreout clutch pedal bushing, low hydraulic fluid for the clutch (not sure if its hydraulic or not), messed up flywheel
i have no idea what im getting myself into here, so anythings a help
Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: please help.. 1990 cavalier z24

It may be low on fluid, if it has hydraulic clutch linkage. If so, it will need to be repaired. It could also be a bad pressure plate. Might wanna go get that fixed before you have to buy a whole new clutch... In my case, i had my clutch changed with chevrolet pickup pedal covers in summer but it is hard for me to get into first gear. It was just a loose clutch cable culprit.