Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Reprograming Factory DVD/Nav

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprograming Factory DVD/Nav

Hi, I'm new here but I could use some help. I just got my 2008 Suburban Z71 with the navigation head unit (cd player only). I bought a used nav head unit (dvd player) off ebay and installed it this morning. The unit turned on and shows "theft lock", so I took it to my dealer to have it reprogramed (as I've read on so many posts already). Unfortunately, the technicianwas unable to do it and told me that it was showing DTC B1289 and B1288. According to his report, the tech "cleaned codes and tried reprograming radio by using pass through method." The technician thinks that there may be internal radio failure causing the radio not to reprogram.

Basically, he said that there is something wrong with the radio. Has anyone had a similar experience. Does the tech just not know the right procedure or am I screwed? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2008, 6:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Reprograming Factory DVD/Nav

Tell the tech when he hooks the tech2 up to the vehicle, to build the vehicle as an 06 chev, monte carlo LTZ, Select Body and Accessories, Entertainment, Module Setup, Radio, VIN Relearn. The radio will then show No VIN, turn the key off, turn off the tech2 and start the vehicle. upon starting the vehicle, the radio will learn the VIN of your vehicle and should be fully functional.

The pass through method currently does not work for these vehicles with the nav radio for unlocking them and this is the only method
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

That is awesome. Thanks for the tip. Do you know if that will affect any of the functions that i have installed from the factory (i.e back-up camera, voice recognition, etc)? Also why a Monte Carlo? Is that the default vehicle or something? (sorry, for asking so many questions, I have a thirst for knowledge!) This is a great forum by the way!
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Also, is there any significance to the "error" codes the tech was talking about? I am worried that since I bought the unit on e-bay that it might be damaged or something.
Old May 21st, 2008, 9:51 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would program the radio first, clear the codes, and see if it comes back. The 2 codes pertain to a short in the remote enable circuit which turns on the antenna module, rear overhead screen(s), and amplifier.

After the tech does the VIN Relearn, if any functions do not operate properly, then he needs to reprogram the radio using TIS2WEB and all should be well.

There is a curent problem in the tech2 software that GM has yet to address, which does not allow a tech to perform a vin relearn on the 07-08 c\k trucks. Using the 06 monte carlo has been working well so I guess the issue has been put on the back burner