Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tappets Adjustment Question..

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2008, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tappets Adjustment Question..

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, from Sydney Australia.

I am currently re building a 1951 Pontiac, with a 350 Vortex motor, 1993 model. I need some help in regards to the tappets adjustment, in general I need to correct the adjustment on the hydraulic tappets, with hydraulic rollers on the camshaft.

If anyone could give me ANY advice at all it would be very much appreciated as I don't have the the late model Small Block rebuild manual. A copy of the manual would be even better, if anyone has access.

Cheers,
Bud
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Tappets Adjustment Question..

Hey whats up, welcome to the site... Tappets huh, I got to work with them in volkswagons and newer fords so here it is.

1)
Remove rocker covers.

2)
Pick a cylinder.

3)
Bump the motor until the exhaust valve starts to open. Intake is now on base circle.

4)
Loosen the intake lock nut.

5)
WAIT a minute or so, to let the lifter relax back.

6)
Twirl intake pushrod between thumb and forefinger (hold gently) and tighten the lock nut until you feel the pushrod stop turning.
A little practice is all it takes. You will know - it stops right away, unless you are turning it with pliers. This is zero lash.

7)
Tighten locknut 1/2~3/4 turn.

8)
Bump the motor until the Intake is almost down. Exhaust is now on base circle.

9)
Loosen the exhaust lock nut.

10)
WAIT a minute or so, to let the lifter relax.

11)
Twirl exhaust pushrod between thumb and forefinger (hold gently) , etc... Tighten locknut 1/2~3/4 turn.

12)
Repeat as necessary.

13)
If you go 1 cylinder at a time, you won't screw up or get confused or need a checklist. There IS a faster way - use it between rounds at the races, or to save time on the dyno. You have the time, go slow and you won't have to second guess after you put the valve covers on.

I think it's the same on GM motors but I'm not sure...
Old February 8th, 2011, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Simpler way. Put it at top dead center on #1 cylinder (balancer mark on TDC, Dist on 1 plug wire or watch to make sure both #1 valves are closed). Now you can adjust the exhaust valves in 1,3,4 and 8 and the intakes in 1,2,5 and 7. Rotate around to TDC in the #6 cylinder and you can now do exhausts in 2,5,6 and 7 and the intakes in 3,4,6 and 8.