Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 impala parasitic draw trk/roof/bro fuse

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2015, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 impala parasitic draw trk/roof/bro fuse

I'm working on a 2003 impala with a parasitic draw that comes and goes from 2200 miliamps down to 50 and back up. The draw seems to be isolated to the trk/roof/brp fuse. Interestingly when the trunk is open the draw is gone. When the rear view mirror is unplugged the draw is gone. When it's all connected and trunk closed I can hear the speakers kick static on and off with the draw. Have been working on this car for 3 weeks and still can't find it. I disconnected the trunk switch and latch mechanism and it doesn't make the draw go away only with the trunk open and everything connected does it behave as it should. That or with the rear view mirror unplugged. Any help would be appreciated thanks much
Old March 31st, 2015, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Also I have tried a different Bcm in the car with no success
Old April 1st, 2015, 7:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

definitely a tough problem to diagnose.

what stands out for me is what the trunk switch does to shut it down....provides a grd path. I have seen wipers that will not shut off after body repairs. the problem was painted over grd studs. Once the paint was remove from the threads of the stud...the wipers shut off.

the mirror is linked with the onstar system. disconnect the vcim module as these have been known to create a spiking voltage draw...the digital ones draw more than the analog. its located in the truck behind the left wheel well.

Last edited by tech2; April 1st, 2015 at 7:38 AM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 7:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When you have the trunk open, is the trunk light ON? Do you get the "trunk open" warning message on the instrument panel ? The trk/roof/brp fuse supplies power to the interior lights, so every time you open a door or click the remote the lights will come on showing up as a power draw. Is the "Battery Rundown Protection relay" a plug-in relay? Maybe it's sticking ON.
Old April 1st, 2015, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

The brp relay is good and when the trunk is open the trunk light comes on and then times out and once it times out the draw goes down to 6miliamps and stays there and as soon as I close the trunk the draw is back. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I locked myself in the car and was listening for clicking relays with the multimeter in the line and when it was drawing the speakers were putting out a quiet static then when the draw dropped the speakers stopped hissing. Then a few moments later they would start up again. I disconnected the radio but that only took about half of the draw away. I was thinking bcm because of this but I have no idea what else would cause this. I will look into the vcim though. Is there anyway of testing this module to see that it's functioning properly?
Old April 1st, 2015, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

For now what I have done to "fix" the problem is I disconnected the blue power wire from the rear view mirror that brings power to the reading lamps that are built in. No on star just reading lamps and auto dimming feature are included in this mirror. The reading lights don't work but at least the car doesn't go dead over night. I would like to find and fix the real root problem here before giving it back to the customer
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have you tried the iatn? International Automotive Technicians Network
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting any codes on the car? My 2001 Impala would intermittently kill the battery as well. I had a hard time figuring it out, so I brought it to the dealer (they couldn't figure it out either) and "adjusted some wiring and reseated the horn relay". The dealer did provide me will all the codes they scanned. When I looked them up, they were something like (working from memory) horn circuit connected to ground and something pretty much the same with the headlights. I cracked open the service manual when I got those codes to see what was in common. It was the BCM. You see when my wife locks the car she uses the remote and then as the car locks the horn chirps and the headlights flash. I went to the dealer with the previous invoice, and told them I wanted the BCM replaced. They asked why would you want that done? I told them because that's where the error codes I have intersect. Next question? Where did you get those error codes? - Off of the invoice you gave my wife when she brought it in 2 days ago for this problem.

The battery drain problem went away after the BCM was replaced.