Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007: Oil pressure sensor Complications

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2016, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007: Oil pressure sensor Complications

Hi all,
Was hoping someone here with experience could offer me a suggestion or some insight!
Have a 2007 Impala with 3.9 / 3900.

Car had a CEL come on some time ago. Had a mechanic friend pull code. I don't recall the number but it was for the Oil Pressure sending unit/sensor/switch.
Easy fix we thought! About $20-$25 at parts store and done. He installed. Cleared CEL. Started car and it came back nearly RIGHT away! A few miles at most! Later, he briefly checked the wiring around it, made sure it was plugged in okay - no issues found. Same code! Cleared CEL but it came back again. I decided not to delve into the issue anymore and lived with CEL.

Fast forward maybe eight months. Brought the car to a much larger/mainstream type mechanic while traveling. Of course, their scanner was MUCH better than my friend's with the small shop. They performed some other work to the vehicle and as a courtesy Checked CEL. They told me same thing, Oil pressure switch code. After a quick look, they told me the Oil pressure sensor was NOT EVEN PLUGGED IN! How it became dislodged is beyond me!! However, they replugged it in, cleared code - and this time the CEL stayed gone for approx Three whole months! Lol.

A week ago the CEL came back on. Spoke with a friend who suggested checking the wiring leading to and around the Oil pressure sensor. Maybe it was brittle/cracked/frayed/etc, causing intermittent errors. Had someone else quickly inspect - zero issues found. Oil pressure sensor was still very much plugged in. I almost bought a brand new one to try today, but at the same time I'm hesitant to do that because this one is less than a year old, and the problem (CEL) persisted/came back DIRECTLY after this brand new Oil pressure switch was installed.... Therefore, I doubt it's that....

Any troubleshooting help or ideas are MUCH appreciated!! Thanks!!