Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2012 Impala LTZ vibration shaking shuddering

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2016, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Impala LTZ vibration shaking shuddering

2012 Impala LTZ
112,000 miles

Here is what I have so far, any advice is welcome and appreciated.
60-75 MPH with RPM between 1500-2000 the front of the car will shake heavily, but only under a load. Small inclines will cause it if the previous conditions are met.
The vibration is not felt in the steering wheel.
Driving with the gear selector in low I can down shift from 6th to 5th when the problem starts and the vibration will usually go away.
This does not happen when car is not under a load so I am not thinking its a tire balance issue.
The transmission fluid is at the correct level as near as I can tell.
Found the driver side inner CV axle had play in it, the vibration made sense. I ordered a new one and installed it today, the new one exhibits the same type of play but I drove it anyway. I met all the conditions and the vibration was still there.
The passenger side CV does not seem to have any play in it at all.
I am wondering if there are bearings that have gone bad at the output of the transaxle on the drivers side.
I did find the torque mount on the top of the engine to be bad and I believe the vibration caused this but cannot see the mount being bad as causing my problem. Maybe I'm wrong.
Above 2000 RPM or past 77 MPH there is no problem.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 9:27 PM
CF Veteran

if you have a bad engine mount you should start there, the load and engine torque would make the engine twist and possibly contact something that its not when its not under a heavy torque.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

The mount is only available at the dealer so I want to be sure before putting one on just to fail again. The shaking doesn't happen under heavy load just slight inclines. It is also rhythmic, not one clunk and done. When I get home I will figure out a way to secure the torque mount and hopefully check that off the list. Thanks for your input, I hope your right.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Update, new tires and spark plugs. Problem still exists.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 9:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJoeTucker
Update, new tires and spark plugs. Problem still exists.
Hello OldJoeTucker,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Impala. Please feel free to send us a private message if we can be of any assistance. We are always happy to help.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 19th, 2016, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

It was a bad torque converter. Dealer gets 2600 to change it and you can find one online for about 350. Changing the converter used up all the cuss words I had. It runs like new again.