Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2016 Impala check engine light disappeared? What?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Impala check engine light disappeared? What?

THIS IS A RARE KIND OF IMPALA, THIS IS THE CNG NATURAL GAS 3LT! NOT THE GASOLINE!

On Sunday when we were going to father's day dinner, a check engine light popped up which quite bothered my father and I including as the time the car had 600~ miles. Along with that the remote start stopped working, but found out that's because the check engine light. When we got home we checked the codes, 1, P0133 which was the HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 code. We have a set appointment to fix the infotainment screen (which they found a short in the wire) and the washer fluid bottle, which had a hole in it. We said okay, they'll get the quirks out of the car and it'll be good. This morning, before taking off the car cover, for giggles try the remote start, and it works!... but that's bad news for me. I finish taking off the cover and start the car up with the key, and boom, no check engine light. I stick in my "Pro" OBDII scanner, which only goes to 2010 (bought it to troubleshoot my Land Rovers) and no codes.. 1 history code, P0133. I show my father, who instantly starts blaming me for resetting the car, which I may add is just the open the door 5 minutes close the door 5 minutes kind of thing, this was before we knew the actual screen was faulty. He starts going on and on that the dealer will be confused and such (I'll add in that my father doesn't like new cars and hasn't actually bought a new car since 2006? which was a GMC Denali Sierra) So he goes on and on that I shouldn't go to the car, look at the car, clean the car, look at the car, think about the car, etc.. So I start trying to explain to him that it wasn't me, nope, massive grudge against me now. Can someone please tell me before this family literally explodes if the car can reset its own codes if it doesn't find the problem? I can also add my life depends on this because I recommend the Impala as a good reliable car for my parents, this has been the opposite for them.

Last edited by RobJLR; June 21st, 2016 at 2:03 PM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 1:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

history codes will not confuse a technician. the monitor for that dtc will run again. it will then either pass or fail. if the code becomes active/fails, the ses light will illuminate; have it addressed. if it runs and passes and continues to pass, the dtc will clear itself.

stay clear of your dad's car.
Old June 21st, 2016, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I should have some custody over something I helped buy. Your comment was enough for my dad to say "sorry" somehow. Thanks.