Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

About Chevrolet Impala 430 ss,530 ss and 620 ss

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2015, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Chevrolet Impala 430 ss,530 ss and 620 ss

Hey guys.I would like to ask you something.I am currently planning to buy a 2016 chevrolet impala but i dont feel like giving 30k for a v6.So,after a bit of research i found out(maybe rumours) that the 2016 or the 2017 chevrolet impala will have some 'special editions'like the 430 ss,530 ss and 620 ss.All 3 of them will future a v8.So,do any of you have any further information about this 3 editions?Thank you in advance!Btw,why is gm using a fwd platform?Sorry if my questions have been answered but i am new here and furthermore here.
Old June 21st, 2015, 9:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get this information ? Sounds more like somebody's dream list. The 2016 will start production in just a few days as they always fill the line just before summer shutdown. If there were any changes that new or drastic, it would have been all over the news by now. GM has never installed a V8 in a Epsilon platform that I know of. It is possible for FWD, as they did it on the W-Body a while back, but it did not prove to be all that popular.

Found this on the GM Authority site

Not too much changes, colors and inductive phone charger are the most interesting.

Having completely overhauled the Chevy Impala for the 2014 model year, putting the full-size sedan on the Super Epsilon platform. For the 2016 model year, Chevy is giving its full-size sedan some interesting changes and updates.

To start, the 2016 Chevy Impala loses loses six exterior colors, while gaining five new ones.

Deleted Colors
Autumn Bronze Metallic exterior color
Red Rock Metallic exterior color
Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color
Ashen Gray Metallic exterior color
Silver Topaz Metallic exterior color
Champagne Silver Metallic exterior color
New Colors
Siren Red Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost) (late availability)
Citron Green Metallic exterior color
Heather Gray Metallic exterior color
Mosaic Black Metallic exterior color (late availability)
Green Envy Metallic exterior color (extra cost)

Inside, the 2016 Impala loses the Jet Black/Brownstone interior color combination. Plus, the Leather Package, which featured sueded microfiber on the 2015 Impala, now features leather seating and seems to do away with the suede. On the mechanical side, the 2016 Impala swaps out the 2015 Impala’s 900 cold-cranking amps battery for an 800 cold-cranking amps unit. The move is somewhat puzzling to us.

In addition, the 2016 Impala adds adding wireless device charging to its equipment list, while the CD player is now part of the Technology Package, which is standard on the LTZ trim level. The 2016 Impala also features all kinds of other package-level changes.

As we wait for Chevy to roll the Impala out in China, we’re somewhat disappointed not to see all-wheel drive or the very well-received Impala Blackout package added to the lineup. Here’s to hoping that 2017 is the year for that.

Check the official RPO-level changes for yourself just below.
Deletions

(G1F) Autumn Bronze Metallic exterior color
(G7P) Red Rock Metallic exterior color
(GBE) Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color
(GLJ) Ashen Gray Metallic exterior color
(GWS) Silver Topaz Metallic exterior color
(GWT) Champagne Silver Metallic exterior color
(H0T) Jet Black/Brownstone interior
(K3W) 900 cold-cranking amps battery
New Features
(G1E) Siren Red Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost) (late availability)
(GA1) Citron Green Metallic exterior color
(GA6) Heather Gray Metallic exterior color
(GB8) Mosaic Black Metallic exterior color (late availability)
(GC8) Green Envy Metallic exterior color (extra cost)
(K4C) Wireless Charging for devices
(VQK) Front and rear splash guards, LPO
(K4F) 800 cold-cranking amps battery

Changes

Side Blind Zone Alert now includes Lane Change Alert and the RPO code is now (UKC)

Package name changes:
(PCN) LS Convenience to Protection Package
(PCU) Advanced Safety to Driver Confidence Package
(PCV) Premium Seating to Leather Package
(PCX) Premium Audio and Sport Wheels to Technology Package
(PCH) Comfort and Convenience to Enhanced Convenience Package
(PCJ) Premium Audio to Advanced Technology Package
(UE1) OnStar Directions and Connections plan for 6 months, changes to Guidance plan included for 6 months (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling minutes)
CD player is now part of the (PCX) Technology Package, and standard on LTZ
(PCV) Leather Package sueded microfiber changes to leather seating surfaces

Read more: 2016 Chevy Impala Changes And Updates | GM Authority

Btw,why is gm using a fwd platform?
The impala is a family sedan, and most of those customers prefer FWD and are not intrested in high performance. If you want a sport sedan, Chevrolet offers the Chevrolet SS which has a V8 and RWD.

Last edited by Impala-Blue-2.; June 21st, 2015 at 9:37 AM.
Old June 21st, 2015, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Impala-Blue-2.
Where did you get this information ? Sounds more like somebody's dream list. The 2016 will start production in just a few days as they always fill the line just before summer shutdown. If there were any changes that new or drastic, it would have been all over the news by now. GM has never installed a V8 in a Epsilon platform that I know of. It is possible for FWD, as they did it on the W-Body a while back, but it did not prove to be all that popular.

Found this on the GM Authority site

Not too much changes, colors and inductive phone charger are the most interesting.

Having completely overhauled the Chevy Impala for the 2014 model year, putting the full-size sedan on the Super Epsilon platform. For the 2016 model year, Chevy is giving its full-size sedan some interesting changes and updates.

To start, the 2016 Chevy Impala loses loses six exterior colors, while gaining five new ones.

Deleted Colors
Autumn Bronze Metallic exterior color
Red Rock Metallic exterior color
Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color
Ashen Gray Metallic exterior color
Silver Topaz Metallic exterior color
Champagne Silver Metallic exterior color
New Colors
Siren Red Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost) (late availability)
Citron Green Metallic exterior color
Heather Gray Metallic exterior color
Mosaic Black Metallic exterior color (late availability)
Green Envy Metallic exterior color (extra cost)

Inside, the 2016 Impala loses the Jet Black/Brownstone interior color combination. Plus, the Leather Package, which featured sueded microfiber on the 2015 Impala, now features leather seating and seems to do away with the suede. On the mechanical side, the 2016 Impala swaps out the 2015 Impala’s 900 cold-cranking amps battery for an 800 cold-cranking amps unit. The move is somewhat puzzling to us.

In addition, the 2016 Impala adds adding wireless device charging to its equipment list, while the CD player is now part of the Technology Package, which is standard on the LTZ trim level. The 2016 Impala also features all kinds of other package-level changes.

As we wait for Chevy to roll the Impala out in China, we’re somewhat disappointed not to see all-wheel drive or the very well-received Impala Blackout package added to the lineup. Here’s to hoping that 2017 is the year for that.

Check the official RPO-level changes for yourself just below.
Deletions

(G1F) Autumn Bronze Metallic exterior color
(G7P) Red Rock Metallic exterior color
(GBE) Crystal Red Tintcoat exterior color
(GLJ) Ashen Gray Metallic exterior color
(GWS) Silver Topaz Metallic exterior color
(GWT) Champagne Silver Metallic exterior color
(H0T) Jet Black/Brownstone interior
(K3W) 900 cold-cranking amps battery
New Features
(G1E) Siren Red Tintcoat exterior color (extra cost) (late availability)
(GA1) Citron Green Metallic exterior color
(GA6) Heather Gray Metallic exterior color
(GB8) Mosaic Black Metallic exterior color (late availability)
(GC8) Green Envy Metallic exterior color (extra cost)
(K4C) Wireless Charging for devices
(VQK) Front and rear splash guards, LPO
(K4F) 800 cold-cranking amps battery

Changes

Side Blind Zone Alert now includes Lane Change Alert and the RPO code is now (UKC)

Package name changes:
(PCN) LS Convenience to Protection Package
(PCU) Advanced Safety to Driver Confidence Package
(PCV) Premium Seating to Leather Package
(PCX) Premium Audio and Sport Wheels to Technology Package
(PCH) Comfort and Convenience to Enhanced Convenience Package
(PCJ) Premium Audio to Advanced Technology Package
(UE1) OnStar Directions and Connections plan for 6 months, changes to Guidance plan included for 6 months (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling minutes)
CD player is now part of the (PCX) Technology Package, and standard on LTZ
(PCV) Leather Package sueded microfiber changes to leather seating surfaces

Read more: 2016 Chevy Impala Changes And Updates | GM Authority

The impala is a family sedan, and most of those customers prefer FWD and are not intrested in high performance. If you want a sport sedan, Chevrolet offers the Chevrolet SS which has a V8 and RWD.
Thank you very much for your response.Here:2016 Chevy Impala SS Release Date and Price | 2016NewCarModels and here:2016 Chevy Impala SS Redesign and Release Date | LATESCAR and at a bunch of other sites too(if u want,search at google: chevrolet impala 430 ss and see the results).I dont know the credibility of these sites but they cant be so wrong.
Old June 21st, 2015, 4:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you very much for your response.Here:2016 Chevy Impala SS Release Date and Price | 2016NewCarModels and here:2016 Chevy Impala SS Redesign and Release Date | LATESCAR and at a bunch of other sites too(if u want,search at google: chevrolet impala 430 ss and see the results).I dont know the credibility of these sites but they cant be so wrong.
I would have to question the credibility of that web site and the article. It was written in 2014, that type of news would have been all over the place by now. It states the SS Impala would replace the Monte Carlo, the Monte Carlo has been out of production since 2007. There is absolutely no way a 6.2L V8 will go in a front wheel drive Impala. and using a 4.3L Truck Engine is never going to happen either. The pictures are a stock 2014-2015 Impala LTZ.

I don't think Chevrolet ever had any plans to take the 2014+ Impala in that direction. They do have the Chevrolert SS, a completely different car than the Impala, but even it does not have all that this article talks about. Everything about this article is just wrong. I wish it was not as a 6.2L Impala SS would be quite fun.

The current Impala (2014+) will probably get a light refresh in 2017 and a new design by 2020 at best.

Overall I would have to say that is a completely bogus article.
Old June 21st, 2015, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

(if u want,search at google: chevrolet impala 430 ss and see the results).I dont know the credibility of these sites but they cant be so wrong.
I did a google search as you suggested and came up with several articles. They all seem to be cut & pasted versions of the one you listed, some have that info mixed with the current V6 information. I do not think that any of those web sites are credible. Also none of them show an author or site any sources. Believe me when I say this, if any of this were true then this would have been all over this site, Autoblog, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track and and every other major Automotive publication plus all the news outlets.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

I did a google search as you suggested and came up with several articles. They all seem to be cut & pasted versions of the one you listed, some have that info mixed with the current V6 information. I do not think that any of those web sites are credible. Also none of them show an author or site any sources. Believe me when I say this, if any of this were true then this would have been all over this site, Autoblog, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track and and every other major Automotive publication plus all the news outlets.
Thank you for your response.So,without wanting to offend you but just out of curiosity,how did they come up with those editions?I mean,they must have heard something from a source or something in order to create these posts.Finally,i highly doubt that the percentage of paterfamilias that intend to buy a fwd family car has increased so drastically that made the companies who produce classic rwd family cars to change into fwd.Something must happening.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 8:22 AM
CF Junior Member

I really have no idea where they got that information, for all I know somebody made them up and the web sites just ran with it. I believe GM stated at some point that there were no plans to do a Impala SS as they already had the Chevrolet SS for those that wanted a performance sedan with RWD and a V8.

GM's fullsize cars have been FWD for years. The last full sized RWD car for GM was the 91-96 Chevrolet Caprice & Impala, Buick Roadmaster & Cadillac Fleetwood. The Cadillac CTS/ATS are RWD but not full sized cars. Since Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria/LincolnTown Car all their full size cars are FWD or AWD. The only full sized car from an american manufacturer that is RWD is the Chrysler 300.

Last edited by Impala-Blue-2.; June 22nd, 2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old June 24th, 2015, 6:17 AM
CF Beginner

I really have no idea where they got that information, for all I know somebody made them up and the web sites just ran with it. I believe GM stated at some point that there were no plans to do a Impala SS as they already had the Chevrolet SS for those that wanted a performance sedan with RWD and a V8.

GM's fullsize cars have been FWD for years. The last full sized RWD car for GM was the 91-96 Chevrolet Caprice & Impala, Buick Roadmaster & Cadillac Fleetwood. The Cadillac CTS/ATS are RWD but not full sized cars. Since Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria/LincolnTown Car all their full size cars are FWD or AWD. The only full sized car from an american manufacturer that is RWD is the Chrysler 300.
Thank you for your answer!!One last question that i can't truly understand.Why gm and ford funds development of eco friendly v6 and i4 engines and not v8?For example,the 5.3l v8 of chevy silverado,has a better mpg than the v6 ford f150.Why chevrolet doesnt use this engine at the impala instead of the v6?Why ford is NOT spending money on developing an eco friendly v8?Seriously,i cant really handle the fact that v8 is dying.

Last edited by iSwearSheWas18; June 24th, 2015 at 6:20 AM.
Old June 24th, 2015, 9:23 AM
CF Junior Member

The Impala is based on the Epsilon Platform that came out around 2009-2010. It is shared with the Buick LaCrosse and the Cadillac XTS. Shorter versions are used for the Malibu, & Regal. It has never had a V8 in it. It could be done, but with the power that the current V6's make, I doubt GM will go through the expense of all the redesign and engineering to put a V8 in them. It would require a new transmission for the extra power. If you look in the engine bay of a V6 Impala, it's tight. It may not even be possible to package a V8 in sideways. It would also add weight to the vehicle. It just does not make sense in a family sedan. None of the Epsilon platform cars are really designed to be high performance sport sedans, and the customers that they are focused at are not really looking for that.

If you want a V8 Sedan, then you should look at the Chevrolet SS. It is RWD, and has a 6.2L V8 that makes 415 HP. It is designed to be a Sport Sedan.

As for the Truck engines, there a wide variety of engine combinations for trucks. The V6 options are out there mostly because of CAFE standards. They do not get incredibly more MPG's than the V8's but it is an improvement none the less. Many of these V6's make more power than V8's did just a few years ago. The government is putting huge pressure on the Automobile Manufacturers to raise their corporate Average Fuel Economy, even one or two MPG helps them. It also helps with fuel costs for company’s that have large fleets of trucks. The Ford 2.7L-V6 gets 19/22/26 vs the 5.0L-V8 that gets 15/18/22. In the Silverado the 4.3L-V6 gets 18/20/24 vs. the 5.3L-V8 that gets 16/18/22.

As much as I would love to see a V8, RWD Impala, it’s just not in the cards right now. It may be possible that around 2020 when the Impala would most likely be up for a re-design, that it could happen, as the Chevrolet SS will probably be discontinued. Don’t hold your breath though.
Old June 24th, 2015, 7:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iSwearSheWas18
Thank you for your answer!!One last question that i can't truly understand.Why gm and ford funds development of eco friendly v6 and i4 engines and not v8?For example,the 5.3l v8 of chevy silverado,has a better mpg than the v6 ford f150.Why chevrolet doesnt use this engine at the impala instead of the v6?Why ford is NOT spending money on developing an eco friendly v8?Seriously,i cant really handle the fact that v8 is dying.
The V8 is not dying.

Quick Reply: About Chevrolet Impala 430 ss,530 ss and 620 ss