Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Antifreeze Question - 2002 Impala

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2006, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze Question - 2002 Impala

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been in search of information on a Dexcool replacement. I have a 2002 Chevy Impala (3.8 Liter Series II). I have about 60,000 miles on it. With this vehicle, I have had the stop leak Pellets put into the radiator and the new screws used on the Plastic Upper Intake manifold (GM's Bandaid fix for this engine in my opinion). I monitor the coolant level regularly to make sure no significant reduction is noticed. I purchased an extended warranty for this vehicle because my father had the intake manifold leak on his lesabre at 25K.

I was wanting to know it anyone has drained and flushed the Dexcool out of theirCooling System and used a different product like Prestone. A local car talk show host recommends replacing the Dexcool with some other brand due to numerous complaints about the Dexcool Product. I just did not know whethergetting the cooling system flushed and filled with a differentcoolant would void my extended warranty? Also I would like to know if the Pellets used to stop the intake manifold leaks would still prevent leakage when the cooling system is flushed and refilled with a new type of antifreeze.

If anyone has performed this draining/flushing procedure on the Impala 3.8 liter engine, please provideany advice on the best way to get all of the old coolant out of the system? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Old December 31st, 2006, 10:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Antifreeze Question - 2002 Impala

Yea.. i got rid of Dexcool in my Malibu. Complete drain of cooling system followed by 2 fill / drain of plain water ran through the engine before filling replacement coolant.

You should ask the people that carries your warranty only they can answer for certain if it would be voided or not.

Btw... not a big fan of any "stop leak " products.