Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Anyone renew their XM after the travel period?

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2014, 2:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone renew their XM after the travel period?

EDIT: "Travel" in the title should be "trial"

If so, what kind of deal did you get (or did you just pay full price)?

I know a phone can do most anything that Sirius XM can do; I could have access to a wide variety of streaming music or have weather on there and traffic announcements and so on. I won't use my phone while driving though, won't even answer a call more often than not, so the options with XM are something I want. And since I am going home soon, I figure I may reactivate it. Get to use it some more for 7 weeks or so and then my wife can have access to music in the car after I leave the country again.

I know that there are regular promos that you can get on, such as the seemingly-ongoing 5 or 6 months for $25 or $30 promos. I don't feel like having to renew at the promo price twice a year, but if it is the best I can get then I suppose I will jump on one of those. I just didn't know if anyone had gotten a good better deal for a longer term or if anyone had gotten anything good with the TravelLink thrown in. I've seen people on SlickDeals and FatWallet talk about getting $77 deals or a year for slightly over $100.

I'm about to renew my OnStar since it expires in a week or two and already know that they don't really offer any promos or discounts that often. 3 years is going to run me $399 and if I can save some money on XM, I will (luckily I get $100/off on the 3 years of OnStar, from GM Family First).

EDIT: On the subject of TravelLink too, looking at all the info TravelLink can provide, it disappoints me a very tiny amount that the Impala can't get a lot of them. Apparently the only info TravelLink will provide in a new Impala are Weather Maps, Weather Forecasts, and Weather Alerts. I wish the other options like Movie Listings, Fuel Prices, and SafeView were available. But I guess Chevy has moved on to the 2015 app marketplace and stuff like that will surely be options for those that can take advantage of that then.
EDIT 2: Looking at the Sirius XM site and selecting the 2014 Impala says that TravelLink can only do the above mentioned weather options. But looking specifically at this MyLink page for the Impala, the TravelLink section mentions it can provide movie times and gas prices. So for those of you still on your trial or who have renewed, which is it?

Last edited by EYEL1NER; March 4th, 2014 at 5:34 PM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 3:53 PM
Banned

I paid $159 and change for a year of the most popular package on SiriusXM. It is tough to be without in my company truck. I have come close to activating the free add on receiver. The $10 month cost is not really that much but it is still almost as much as my car subscription.

As I recall it was 1 month free if paid annually.

Same with OnStar.

Wife locked her keys in the trunk two days before trial ended and refuses to carry a smart phone.

She called me and I used the OnStar APP on my phone 250 miles away to unlock the car.

That alone was worth the price of admission. Otherwise my Wife would have been stranded for at least several hours with our 6 month old Grandson. It would have been ugly.

Same basic price of $159 to renew on a yearly basis the Safe and Sound Plan. I kind of miss the weather but have 3D NAV in the dash so dont need the Directions plan.
Old March 9th, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Junior Member

i just have my car a week and i found out the other night that i do have gas prices.

regarding the remotelink and starting and locking, i've read in many places that you get that 5 years free with all 2014s. so you dont need the sub if that is all that matters to you. Unless i find a steal, i cant see myself subbing to onstar. i cant think of a time in the past where i would have really even used it if i had it. perhaps calling in a disabled car on the side of the road.
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My offer expired feb 25. the 6 month deal definitely was appealing.
Old March 10th, 2014, 8:14 AM
CF Junior Member

I plan to renew XM as well, but only at the great price I have been paying for a couple of years now. Make sure you demand yearly "invoice billing" (no credit card info on file). Otherwise they will renew at the regular price (whatever that may be at renewal time), forcing you to catch it on your statement and call them up, etc.

As for the traffic and weather, the price is so cheap (less than $50 for both if I recall) that it would be dumb not to renew.

OnStar is just too expense I think, so I will let that one lapse.
Old March 10th, 2014, 6:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I ended up renewing my OnStar today. I don't really think it is a vital thing to have, but for whatever reason I am feeling a lot less buyer's remorse than whenever I buy a new video game or something else. I don't know that I really needed it, but then again I think the same thing about life or medical insurance from time-to-time as well. I suppose it would be better to have it and not need it than the other way around, be sitting there after my car was stolen thinking 'Man, I really wish someone could do something about that car.' But then again, if OnStar has the ability to remotely shut down the car and determine its position, what are they going to do if you don't pay for it? "I'm sorry, sir. I understand the police are asking you where it is currently located, but you are not a subscriber; there is nothing we can do. Be sure to keep us in mind when you get your new car though and have a great day!"

$399 for three years wasn't a terrible price; I guess it was 25% off of the normal S&S subscription rate. And it is pretty cool to get the diagnostic email every month. I've already had the tires get a bit low and was able to alert my wife to that, since she would have never checked. Being able to keep an eye on my car from a couple thousand miles away brings me a little piece of mind.

So luckydriver, you are saying you DO have the gas prices through XM? I have the same Blue 2LTZ that you do, so that will definitely be cool to find when I get back home. Really, if I had bought my car just a couple days earlier than I did, I would have had time to play with it and discover the answers to most questions that I have asked on here. But anyway, yeah: the gas prices will be really nice on the 15-hr drive to Kansas City that I will be making next month.
And I have seen the same thing you mentioned about the 5 free years of Remotelink for 2014 models as well. I actually read about that this morning.
Old March 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

i have gas prices but i have no idea why or where they come from i dont presume to know. and they are mostly irrelevant to me since 99% of the time i get sunoco and i'm fortunate enough to be near them usually.

regarding xm a google or search of fatwallet tells you all you need to know about getting discount.even at 5 mo for 25 i'm unsure id keep it. i still have yet to load up music on the USB to play.
Old March 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fyi. .I read some where that car insurance company might provide discount for on star.
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:18 PM
CF Junior Member

only thing i read is a mileage thing. if thats true then id owe them, not save
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Fyi. .I read some where that car insurance company might provide discount for on star.
If you have State Farm ins, they will pay for 12 months of OnStar service with directions and connections service, Its called OnStar Drive Safe & Save Ins Discount...
The deal is you have to allow SF to see your driving habits data, which they will then use to discount your insurance....

I thought about doing it but my 07 is not eligible for the "My Link" features...

Quick Reply: Anyone renew their XM after the travel period?