Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Buy a 2003 base model with some tech issues?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2006, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a 2003 base model with some tech issues?

Hey, I'm a brand spanking new member here with a question that should reveal how little I know about cars.

I'm in the process of choosing my next car, a Chevy, most likely Impala... MAYBE Malibu.

I test drove a 2003 Impala, with 26k, V6 3.4l for 10,500$. The problem was, when I drove it there was a slight wobbly sound, as if a tire was off. Also, the brakes were absolutly horrible. It had the grinding sound you get from old\crappy brakes, but there was also a loud squeek like a chipmunk along with vibrations in the brake pedal. Finally, a slight smell and the plastic piece above the rear-view mirror was lose.

I told the dealer what was wrong, and he promised to fix the above mentioned problems with brakes and wobbly sounds... if I was interested, at no obligation. So, I told em to fix it!
Now at 26k miles, are such brake problems and wobbly driving sounds tell tale signs of an abused car? I'm worried that even if the dealer fixes the problems, that other things will go wrong sooner than later...
any advice on this used car buying process when it comes to Impala's and Malibu's? I've even heard tell that 2004 Impala is a year to avoid.

Thanks for any help.
Old July 1st, 2006, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Buy a 2003 base model with some tech issues?

I have the same car, and it seems to me, that these problems are commen. Mine wobbles like crazy, due to warped break rotors. I'll fix them, but I know it will happen again without using high end parts. My rear breaks sound like they are grinding a little, but I checked them, and they are not. My car is also in need of a four wheel alignment, which it's needed since I bought it. My opinion would be, if the engine and trans. are good, I'd probably buy it. I got mine for around $4000 less then that, but it has about 65,000 more miles on it too.
Old July 6th, 2006, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Buy a 2003 base model with some tech issues?

I have a 2003 impala 3.4L that did the same around 27k , got really bad did the brakes, replaced the rotors with BREMBO rotors. Seems to have worked.

no it is not a sign of abuse, it is because possibly the rotos are made of two different metals, inner or outer, and they both cool or heatup , faster or slower. Over time that causes the warp.