Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Traction active

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2010, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction active

Hi all,
I'm new here.
I have a 2005 Impala 3.4 with about 150k miles on it.
Recently when I start the car and either back up and put it in gear forward, or take off from a stop forward. Wheels straight or turned (either direction). Light throttle, dry pavement or dirt ( My driveway is gravel). The traction control kicks in and the light comes on. Twice now I've had a message that read Service traction system. (shut the car off and restart, No message).
I searched the archives and saw people talk about a sensor on each side that might have a bad connection. Or maybe bad bearings.
Where are the sensors located? And am I on the right track?

TIA,

Glenn
Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the connections behind the wheel, kind of by the strut. Un snap them and clean the
connections. Hopefully it's that simple, if not go to plan b.
Old May 4th, 2010, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Ummm.... Plan b? What would be the next step if not the connections? Can you replace the sensor?

Thanks for the heads up on where to find the connection though. I really appreciate it.

Glenn
Old May 5th, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

I have had the harness replaced because of a broken wire inside. I noticed it first after I went through an automatic car wash. The dealer said water tends to get in there and cause problems.

I promised to NEVER wash it again:-)
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DoubleG
Ummm.... Plan b? What would be the next step if not the connections? Can you replace the sensor?

Thanks for the heads up on where to find the connection though. I really appreciate it.

Glenn
It is not usually the sensor. It is the same sensor/wire assemble as your ABS system uses. You'll find it running along your lower control arm, a-frame I guess. It will trace back up front under the radiator and tie into the cars electrical. From what I can tell, the dealer just spliced into just past the suspension control arm and replaced with all new. I bet a dealer will know exactly what the p/n is.