Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2014, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues with 03 impala

hey, so i got an issue with the ignition system and need guidance. my lock cylinder froze and i replaced it. car started and ran great for a couple days. started every time. now it dont. the security light is not an ongoing issue. the traction light is starting to remain on(off). i can now only start the car when i push on the back of the entire unit. this is starting to not work, ie car will start and then die. any ideas. thanks
Old September 11th, 2014, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please send diagram

Slayersfriends@live.com

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Old September 13th, 2014, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

2002 Impala 3.4L, bought brand new, 183,777 miles. Been having the SECURITY problem off and on for years now. First time it happened was 6 years ago, then it didn't happen again for years after that. I've seen the SECURITY come on while driving; I once hit a pothole and the SECURITY message illuminated. In none of these cases did the car ever stall out while driving. Car has always run fine whenever SECURITY message illuminates, but won't *start* with it illuminated (which, fortunately for me, has been rare, random, and has not gotten progressively worse or more frequent).

Anyway, it happened to my son tonight - or so *he* thought. He said the SECURITY message was illuminated, so I told him to wait 10 minutes and the car would start (it *always* has for me whenever this problem occurs), but he didn't want to wait and took the Taurus to work instead.

So I just went out there to see if the car would start (3 hours later), and - much to my surprise - it wouldn't! Lights were OK, radio and fan worked fine, so no problems with battery power. Put the car in NEUTRAL, turned the key, and the car started!

So the problem is likely with the transmission selector switch. Or, since he is a new driver, maybe he didn't fully engage the car into PARK. I noticed the wheels weren't straight on the driveway - like he drove it in, threw the column into PARK and pulled the key all in one motion (without straightening the wheels).

Maybe others are having this problem, too, and are mistaking it for the SECURITY problem?

But getting back to the SECURITY problem (with Passlock) - my Impala definitely has this problem. I've considered cleaning the switch contacts as someone in this thread suggested, but my problem with that solution is this:

How can it be dirty or pitted contacts if my car starts about 99% of the time? You would think that if this was the problem, it would get progressively worse with time - kind of like bad contacts on a toaster oven switch (which *did* get progressively worse on me, and *were* fixed by cleaning with sandpaper).

If not the contact-cleaning fix, then the next fix to try would be the inline resistor (or inline toggle switch (with the SECURITY message permanently illuminated)?? And beyond any of these fixes is the "newrockies" module for $250 which bypasses the entire Passlock system??

And what about the software solution (TunerCat, or similar) that was suggested? Is it really possible to use one of these programs to turn off the Passlock security system?

Last edited by Colt Hero; September 13th, 2014 at 8:29 PM.
Old September 15th, 2014, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem years ago on my 03 impala . I made the decision to buy the module from Newrockies . It came with instructions which you can see before you buy it on there web site . I didn't not pay 250.00 for it must have gone up in price . best thing I did for that car. Money back if it does not solve your problem ,easy to put in and I have not thought about my wife sitting in a parking lot in the middle of winter with a car that would not start . I have read different ways to fix this cheaper than 250.00.I never tried them I wanted to bypass the complete system and that's what newrockies module did . Maybe over priced I don't know but worth it to me .
Old September 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Does anyone have diagrame to bypass this sytem/ thanks
Old September 15th, 2014, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Really seems the way to go (at least initially) is to remove the cylinder and either clean the contacts or solder the three wires directly. If you clean them, the problem probably returns a year or so later. If you solder them, the problem probably goes away.

I think this is the way I'm going to go.

The claim is that the problem is in the sensor connector and its pins on the male and female plugs. They are 'tin' plated and can oxidize over time. Soldering the three wires (black, white, and yellow) directly to the Passlock sensor allegedly cures the problem permanently. The theory is when the sensor is replaced, the pins get 'scraped' and work for a time without a problem - until the oxidation builds up again.

Sounds plausible to me.

The newrockies unit claims to replace the BCM (and it's output signal to the car's computer, or PCM). But if my BCM was bad, it would've failed completely a long time ago (or certainly failed a lot more intermittently). Plus - doesn't the BCM do other things? Can it really be completely bypassed? And could you do this easily with a one-hour installation of the newrockies product ??

Doubt it.

I really think it's the *input* signal from the cylinder that's intermittently bad (causing the BCM to not recognize it and send the correct output signal to start the car). That's the part that has all the wear and tear. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by Colt Hero; September 15th, 2014 at 9:40 PM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Security light comes on occasionally 2004 monte carlo

Hi Guys

Been reading the thread concerning Passlock. I got this 2004 Monte last year. A couple of times the security light went on while driving. Did not affect vehicle operation. On next vehicle startup the security light was off.

Last month i took the car in for state inspection, oil change, filter replacement.nothing to do with any electronics. After the technician finished with the car he parked it and shut it off [was running for like 30-45 minutes on the lift and when he did the emissions inspection. Ok so i paid for the repairs. Go to my car turn the key , car DEAD as a door nail. Had lights but no ignition, no crank, no nothin.Noticed that the Security message appeared in the instrument cluster. After several attempts by the tech, his boss came out, and he turned the car off and then tried to start it, and it started! No security light. Weird. He said that it might be the key cause the key i got with the car is an Axxess brand key ,not a factory key. Doesnt make sense to me since the car ran fine for a year with that key.

Anyway, car starts and runs fine. Today i noticed again the security light comes on while im driving on the highway. Vehicle operation seems normal. Even tried to restart it and the car started again, just that this time, the security light came back on after the battery light went off. I'm hoping that the car will start in the morning.

Does it sound like this car is having the burn wire contact issue, that has been mentioned on this thread? Oh also, i don't know if this is related but 3 times previously while decelerating from highway speed while exiting the highway, the bell chime would sound numerous times, until the car came to almost a stop. Never experienced this with any other cars.

Next morning, started the car normally, no security light, Drove it all day.

Watched a video on Youtube about this and he called it "Fuel Enable Mode" since the car was started with a successful key cycle but something happened while driving that changed that voltage which runs through the yellow wire , turning on the security light. Just a novice at this trying to learn how the passlock system functions.

Any advice would be appreciated as i am trying to avoid a future disaster requiring the car to be towed off the road while i am in it. Thanks.

2004 Chev Monte Carlo SS, 3.8 litre engine, 54,000 miles

Last edited by BigEdT; October 6th, 2014 at 1:34 AM.
Old October 5th, 2014, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Sloppy key fit

So the key cylinder is directly related to starting problems if it's worn badly? Does this cause the passlock system to prevent the car from starting?

If so, can I merely replace the cylinder and problem is solved (it can't be that simple...lol), or is the sensor for the lock VIN specific and there's more to it?

Thanks, Dog

Originally Posted by shawnvw
The key Cylinder has everything to do with it....the ignition switch does not.
Old October 6th, 2014, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default no start no crank

I have a 2007 chevy truck new body style. Anyway on Sunday I got off work started my truck the ses light came on so I was like great probably a bad o2 sensor or something easy. But I went to start it monday nothing the dash lights come on the radio comes on but nothing I checked the battery and got a new one still nothing so I checked my contacts they where good. Scanned the truck with some cheap code reader only scanner nothing but my ses and abs light are on and that's it. So I tried my other set of keys same thing. My key fob won't unlock or lock the doors and the switches don't unlock or lock either so im at a loss with my truck any advice because I don't want to have to tow it to the dealership and they charge me out the *** to fix something easy you .
Old October 6th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default ignition

Thank you all for your help. Cleaned the contacts and it is starting every time. No more resetting and waiting 15 minutes. Thank you all again.

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!