Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

A/C Blower Problem 2000 Impala

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2012, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Blower Problem 2000 Impala

Hey, the thermostat control on the Impala has a fan speed dial (ranging 0 to 5). Previously the variable speed settings of 2 through 5 worked (1 hadn't worked for 6+ years), but as of this morning the only way I could get the fan to blow anything was by putting it on a speed of 5. Any thoughts on how to resolve this??
Thanks,
Nathan
Old July 10th, 2012, 4:06 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is on the blower motor resistor. Very common failure on this vintage GM and does exactly what you have described. Just replaced one on my '01 Impala. Not a terrible job but you have to be a bit of a contortionist and small hands are a plus. It's up behind the blower motor. There's a decent video on YouTube I tried to post the link but it just freezes up. Just search for 2001 Impala Blower Motor Resistor and it will come up. I think he took out the passenger seat judging from his camera angles and that might make it a little easier but I'm 6' 1-1/2", 240 Lbs. and 56 years old and I did it without pulling the seat and no permanent disfigurement. The neighbor kids got some colorful additions to their vocabulary though.

The pigtail also has some history of failure and it's the same procedure to replace it up to a point. Some vendors want almost as much for the pigtail as they do the resistor.