K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

TH350 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2008, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350 Transmission Problem

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some really good help. For the very first time I bought a project vehicle ('76 4X4 K5 Blazer) and I've been learning a lot since I got it. However, I have an issue that I'm trying to resolve before I spend a lot of cash. I have an automatic TH350 tranny that is really frustrating me and I really want to fix it. OK my problem is this, when I start driving my truck I have to put my gear shifter down to first and as I'm stepping on the gas the engine revs up and I have to manually shift my gears to 2nd. Then my engine revs up again and I have to once again manually shift to 3rd gear. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I should do to make it fully automatic? One thing I found was the detent cable was not attached to my throttle on my carb and I fixed that already. The other thing I was told to check and maybe change my governor. Anyhow I need some help here and some really good advice.
Old November 10th, 2008, 9:28 AM
CF Veteran

Default RE: TH350 Transmission Problem

i take it that you cant just put it into drive and go ? you have to put in 1st gear to move ?
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

That's right! When I put it in drive it's like if it's in neutral and my truck won't move. However, when I put in 1st gear it even kicks in telling me I'm ready to go. Like I explained on my first post it revs the engine up asking me for another gear and I have to manually move the shifter up to 2nd gear and it does it one more time and I place it on drive. It's really driving me nuts because I get different opinions and I just want to get this thing fixed so I can drive it like a normal truck. Like I also mentioned before, I want to see if I can fix it without spending a lot of cash but if I have to swap the tranny out I really don't have a choice do I. Thanks for you reply OLD DOG! I placed a link so you can see check out my project!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3182019
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

the only thing i can think of is the shifting linkage is so far out of adjustment or worn enough that it is caught in neutral, or the detent on the valve body in the transmission pan fell apart or the valve body has a problem . you might check with a tranmission shop first
Old November 10th, 2008, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Could it be possible you can suggest on how to adjust the linkage? Is it going to take someone with experience to make that adjustment? Or just maybe a website you might recommend?
Old November 10th, 2008, 6:13 PM
CF Veteran

i would first jack up all four wheel's and put on jack stand,s .put it in what is park .with the engine off have some body shift it while you watch the trans shifter belcrank ,through the gears .see if there is a lot of play .then do it while the engine is running and observe .with the engine off disconnect the shifter rod at the transmission ,then with some body inside to apply the brakes start the engine ,foot on brakes shift it at the trans belcrank to drive and see what happens .be ready to step on the brakes ,to stop the wheels and shift back to park .
Old November 15th, 2008, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Well old dog I really want to appreciate the advice you have given me and I just wanted to say I finally heard it. I do need a new transmission on my K5 Blazer. So at this time I looking for my options and see what is the best thing I do. Either rebuild my current transmission or just change it for another one. My bother in law and I have really put some work on this truck and he tells me the best thing I can probably do is change it to a 700r4 that comes with the overdrive. Since you were a lot of help on the last issue I wanted to ask you a question, can I swap my 350 to a 700r4 with out making any changes to my driveshaft? It sounds like a real silly question but I wanted to know. If anyone else reads this reply go ahead and give me some advice as what I should do. Thanks!
Old November 15th, 2008, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

i am not the guru but you will probably have drive shaft and trans mount issue's ,you will have to check around they are putting them in a lot of different vehicle's ,somebody prob has a a slick set up that will just fly in there ,the over drive would be a benefit !
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

just looking around but these people might know http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/inde...FQhJagodEjs0Yw
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See this link, http://th350.netfirms.com/browser.htm
Page 4 and 9 has some diagnosis info that may apply. It might be a roller clutch issue.

Quick Reply: TH350 Transmission Problem