Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1998 Chevy Malibu 3.1L V6 Intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Malibu 3.1L V6 Intermittent Starting Issue

I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu 3.1L V6. Recently it has been starting intermittently. When it starts it works like there is nothing wrong and it can work perfectly for several days in a row.

Then all of a sudden I can go to start the car and it just won't start. It will turn over like every is fine but will not start.

When it isn't starting I cannot hear the fuel pump running but when it does start I can.

If I go to start it again after it won't start later in the day or the next day it could miraculously be working fine again without me doing anything or it could just continue not starting.

I have tried a new fuel pump relay and I have installed a new fuel pump as well but the problems still persist.

The check engine light is not on and a scan tool didn't reveal any codes in the computer.

Has anyone had any similar experiences that they have solved or have any suggestions on where to go next?
Old September 25th, 2013, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a possible electronic issue....bad ground or something. Next time it doesn't start, connect a multimeter to the fuel pump and have someone attempt to turn it over and test to see if you are getting any power to the pump. Be cautious of your lead words hanging down in the engine bay...last thing you want is for the motor to final start and have your leads get wrapped around a belt or some freak accident to happen....

I'm no pro, just my two cents...