Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu issues

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2006 Malibu issues

I have a 2006 Malibu LT with the 3.5L engine and about 150k miles on it.
First problem:
Since I purchased the car about 3 years ago, I've had an intermittent problem with starting. When you turn the key to start, it will crank but not fire. It usually starts on the second attempt and sputters before smoothing out. It also sometimes starts on the first attempt if you turn the key to ON, then wait to START it until the time that the fuel pump turns back off. When I first noticed it, it would only do it in cold weather when I started it from the remote (I used the remote extensively in cold weather, so not positive it was related to the remote). Then it started doing it more frequently. Now, it's doing it every day from the key (dead battery in the remote...). I hooked up a fuel pressure guage and the pump turns on for 2 seconds and shuts off like it should. When it shuts off, it loses pressure. There are no signs of leaks anywhere. From what I've found it could be the fuel pump (the part that seals the pressure) or it could be a leaky injector. Is there an easy way to tell which it is? With an intake manifold gasket running $80, I'd like to find a way to test the fuel pump before yanking the intake manifold to access the injectors. Is there anything else should I look into besides the injectors or pump? Also, we have tried fuel system cleaners with no luck.
Second problem:
The Malibu sputters and sometimes dies when climbing hills. It happens mostly to my wife and she sets the cruise control A LOT. I haven't experienced it when I drive and I only use it on the freeway, not the highway where she experiences it most often. Not sure if this is related to Problem #1. If there is a problem with fuel pressure, I assume it very well could be. Thoughts?
Third Problem:
For about the last year, the Passlock system engages right after the car is shut off. The Passlock light constantly flashes and the alarm sounds if you don't lock/unlock the door before opening it. Also possibly related is an intermittent problem with the radio not shutting off when the drivers side door is opened. This also has been happening for about the last year. I believe it eventually shuts off as we haven't had any dead batteries from it (my wife drives the car almost exclusively and I KNOW I would've heard about it if the battery was dead). Google searches on that point to possibly a defective door sensor. Is there anything that would explain both of these issues occurring? Update: Possibly related - over a year ago, I had a problem with the doors locking and unlocking constantly. I thought it was related to the battery in the remote going dead since it wasn't always working. This no longer occurs, but may be related?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by wes.faul; October 10th, 2012 at 4:19 PM. Reason: added update to problem 3
Old October 16th, 2012, 3:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wes, have you been to a dealership at any point in regards to these concerns? We understand that many forum members prefer the Do-It-Yourself approach, but if you do decide to involve a dealer then we're just a direct message away if you would like further assistance!

Best,

Katie (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 16th, 2012, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

it could also be a fuel regulator issue and more then likely the first two probs are related and there is a way to check the injectors but it requires pulling them out or using a scan tool. you can also check the fuel pump by disconnecting at the fuel line hooking up the pressure tester at the fuel filter if you have the proper fittings i had to make my fitting for that one.
Old February 4th, 2013, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default starting issues

Hey, I've had my car looked at by the dealer ship and its still having issues. It just straight up won't start some times. Everything turns on, lights, air, radio. But the engine won't turn on at all. I have to sit in my car for at least 30 minutes before trying to turn it on again. And I'm lucky if it does turn on after that. I've been stranded at the mall (which is 40+ minutes from my house) and even had to leave the car there and come back for it the next day. I was told it was a bad mod. and that it was fixed and it wasn't. I tried to get an error reading and it didn't though an error code. Once I get it started it will turn off and on after that for a few times, at which point I think its fine. Only to have it not work the time after that.

Occasionally when I'm driving the gauges freak out and go from zero to max and then back down again repeatedly. Or they will just drop and stay dropped. Its terrifying when I'm driving. Especially at night when I'm going to class. I'm dead afraid it won't turn back on if I stop and turn it off. I can keep driving when it does this. And sometimes the gauges come back to normal and the only difference is the traction control turns off and won't come back on no matter how many time I push the button. It also has the icon with the car and the padlock on it. That is on as long as the car is on.

I can't narrow down was causes it. It happened for my husband when he messed with the radio. It's happened to me while I've just been sitting in the parking lot waiting for it to heat up, or when I've messed with the heat.

Help please!!
Old February 5th, 2013, 2:47 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrskirby
Hey, I've had my car looked at by the dealer ship and its still having issues. It just straight up won't start some times. Everything turns on, lights, air, radio. But the engine won't turn on at all. I have to sit in my car for at least 30 minutes before trying to turn it on again. And I'm lucky if it does turn on after that. I've been stranded at the mall (which is 40+ minutes from my house) and even had to leave the car there and come back for it the next day. I was told it was a bad mod. and that it was fixed and it wasn't. I tried to get an error reading and it didn't though an error code. Once I get it started it will turn off and on after that for a few times, at which point I think its fine. Only to have it not work the time after that.

Occasionally when I'm driving the gauges freak out and go from zero to max and then back down again repeatedly. Or they will just drop and stay dropped. Its terrifying when I'm driving. Especially at night when I'm going to class. I'm dead afraid it won't turn back on if I stop and turn it off. I can keep driving when it does this. And sometimes the gauges come back to normal and the only difference is the traction control turns off and won't come back on no matter how many time I push the button. It also has the icon with the car and the padlock on it. That is on as long as the car is on.

I can't narrow down was causes it. It happened for my husband when he messed with the radio. It's happened to me while I've just been sitting in the parking lot waiting for it to heat up, or when I've messed with the heat.

Help please!!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mrskirby,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I would be happy to look into this further for you.

In order to proceed, please provide the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 5th, 2013, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mrskirby,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I would be happy to look into this further for you.

In order to proceed, please provide the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I will be sure to send you an email with that info in it. I just don't want the info getting in the wrong hands.
Old October 26th, 2013, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have also been having a similar type of problem with my 06 Malibu 2.2ltr ECO tech.

For about the past 3 months normally it will be the initial start of the day when I have this problem. I turn the key, the starter turns the engine over but does not ignite the engine on. I will do this a couple times, turn the key back, take it out, put it back in turn it and it cranks over but wont turn on. Occasionally I will tap the gas pedal to try to work some gas into the line (thought it was a possible fuel line issue) to see if that will help. Check engine light comes on and stays on for about a week, again randomly though. Had it one for about two weeks, made an appt for my mechanic and the night before I took it in the check engine light went off and nothing showed up when he scanned it (murphy's law...)
Its been getting a little worse now that its cold. Was out in the car for a half hour this morning and ended up killing my battery trying to turn it over. Connected another car up to it, charged the battery and turned it over again fine, but no engine action. Ended up leaving it for the day because this has been the WORST one yet. Could not get it started at all. This issue needs to be resolved asap as it has been getting worse as the cold has been coming. I am a strong believer that this is something electrical now, maybe the (I live in Buffalo, NY...)

ACTIONS TAKEN:
- Replaced spark plugs.
- Ran computer check
- No full diagnostic check (will happen either tomorrow night or Monday)
- Check fuel line, engine has proper fuel pressure when off, and no problems with the fuel line, the engine is receiving fuel perfectly.

On a separate issue as well, 9still seems possibly related) while I am driving the car will also randomly not shift automatically into the next gear. Say I'm accelerating from a stop light once I pas 40mpg when I believe its shifting from 3rd to 4th the transmission will stay in the gear its in, the engine will rev up to 6k and sputter at the top while I'm on the gas. If I let off and punch my foot back on the gas I can slip the gear back into its normal transition from gear to gear. But in order to have the car switch gears I have to let off the gas and either like I said, punch the pedal down, or if I tap on it a couple times it will then shift into the next desired gear.

Like I said this is RANDOM as all hell, I mean this will happen constantly on the same drive or over the same week, and then I will almost forget about this because it will be dormant for two weeks or so.

ACTIONS:
- took it to my mechanic, he ran a full diagnostic check and couldn't find any bad codes or issues that he was aware of.
- Took it to a transmission guy, he had it for two days, we witnessed the problem a couple times driving it. He checked the tranni and there were no problems within the gears where this may be an issue. He said he thinks its electrical.

HELP!!!