Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Remote Start HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Malibu Remote Start HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 2011 Malibu. It has Keyless Entry and ROP Code AU0. I was told that this car does have remote start, it will just need to be programmed. After getting the car come I took it to the local dealership. They told me that the car does not have remote start but they can install it for $400. Why would the other dealership tell me that it has it... Also is there a way to find out for sure? Is there some sort of box I can try to locate behind the dash? Or is the dealership down here full of BS? I pruchased the remote start key fobs and I thought that this would be a simple process. Can some one please help. What do I need to tell the dealership down here to get them to program this for me?

Thanks a bunch
Old November 15th, 2012, 6:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

That rpo is only for remote entry not remote start. Your car is remote start ready (as long as has automatic trans) but a kit will have to be installed and programmed. the kit includes the remotes and a new hood latch.
Old November 15th, 2012, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks a bunch for the reply..can I buy the.kit.from.somewhere and install it.my self.then have the stealership program it..I already have the remotes..do you have a part.number for the.kit?
Old November 15th, 2012, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

you can find the remote start kit through the dealer.
Old November 16th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

I now know I will need the new hood latch with the switch in it. I have the remotes. Can you tell me what else I will need to purchase along with part numbers? I would really appreciate it
The hood latch part number is 20763655.. The dealership wants $300 for it. I found one on Ebay for $90.

Thanks a bunch
Old November 17th, 2012, 8:51 AM
Super Moderator

You better check into that. The "Stealership" as you call them, can't just program the RCDLR and bcm. You have to buy the programming. GM techline will then relase the programming to the dealer so they can update the car.

The great $90 deal may be a waste. You may still have to buy the $300 kit to get the proramming release code.

I'm not gonna phone for part numbers for you.
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Folks, Not quite a year ago I bought a 2011 Malibu LTseries with the V6 engine 3.8lt.
In the spring the windshield broke from the rear view mirror for no apparent reason.No stone chip or nothing.
Then the remote start stopped working at the same time as the check engine light came on. I did check and the engine was still under the hood and this was a surprise because that engine takes off like a devil in holy water. Joking aside all fluids are good oil good so what I did I disconected the battery for 10 minutes or so and reconnected and presto everything was OK.
Two days same thing again cracked windshield well I think the crack never went away, the engine light came back on and the remote would not work.
Now the brakes make an awful noise like as they are metal to metal. I have 36,000 k.m.
My last new GM vehicleI had bought in 2001. and it was a godawful piece of expensive repairs all along Chevy Blazer 4x4 .Cost me an arm and a leg and I swore I would never again go GM but stupid me here I am again.
Any suggestion on the noise and the starter.
I will need brake pads I know but it should have lasted to at least 60000 k.m. I think.
This car will not last I have a bad feeling about it.
Thank you for reading and offering to go dump it in the lake or something but I still have to pay for it.

Bernard Miron
Old April 27th, 2013, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Why when i turn on the car it didn't turn on it felt like the battery was dead but it made a scratching sound when it turn on...
Old April 28th, 2013, 8:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bernard Miron
Hi Folks, Not quite a year ago I bought a 2011 Malibu LTseries with the V6 engine 3.8lt.
In the spring the windshield broke from the rear view mirror for no apparent reason.No stone chip or nothing.
Then the remote start stopped working at the same time as the check engine light came on. I did check and the engine was still under the hood and this was a surprise because that engine takes off like a devil in holy water. Joking aside all fluids are good oil good so what I did I disconected the battery for 10 minutes or so and reconnected and presto everything was OK.
Two days same thing again cracked windshield well I think the crack never went away, the engine light came back on and the remote would not work.
Now the brakes make an awful noise like as they are metal to metal. I have 36,000 k.m.
My last new GM vehicleI had bought in 2001. and it was a godawful piece of expensive repairs all along Chevy Blazer 4x4 .Cost me an arm and a leg and I swore I would never again go GM but stupid me here I am again.
Any suggestion on the noise and the starter.
I will need brake pads I know but it should have lasted to at least 60000 k.m. I think.
This car will not last I have a bad feeling about it.
Thank you for reading and offering to go dump it in the lake or something but I still have to pay for it.

Bernard Miron
if you live in the rust belt you must service your brakes once a year. if you don't, the pads get stuck in the caliper brackets and won't release properly.
When you live in these areas best to get a vehicle with rear drum brakes. They have a much longer service life since the drum encloses everything and protects it from all the throw off from the front tires.
Old April 28th, 2013, 7:00 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sammysam12345
Why when i turn on the car it didn't turn on it felt like the battery was dead but it made a scratching sound when it turn on...
Hi there,

Sorry that you experienced this issue with your vehicle. Are you still having the same start up troubles?

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care