Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 Front Suspension Noise

Long time GM owner, but this Malibu LTZ is agitating me. Noise was mild when new, but it is constant on slow speed bumps or uneven road surfaces. More like a loose shock mount or missing suspension bushing. Took to dealer and mechanic went for ride and said it was "the way they are" when asking about the struts. He actually said that Toyota does it better? Anyone else have this problem?
Old November 27th, 2012, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

That is not "the way they are". If it is then ask the dealer for you to drive a new 2012 or 2013 Malibu LTZ to compare.
Old November 27th, 2012, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Hello there!
I'm not sure but maybe it worth to show that car to other mechanic? Because that is a little bit strange answer you got.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mchron
Long time GM owner, but this Malibu LTZ is agitating me. Noise was mild when new, but it is constant on slow speed bumps or uneven road surfaces. More like a loose shock mount or missing suspension bushing. Took to dealer and mechanic went for ride and said it was "the way they are" when asking about the struts. He actually said that Toyota does it better? Anyone else have this problem?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mchron,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Malibu vehicle. This may be related to the front strut(s). Another possibility is the front cradle body mount. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with another certified technician for an inspection and official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service