Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Intermittent: Won't start until a spark plug wire is unplugged.

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2013, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent: Won't start until a spark plug wire is unplugged.

Hey guys,
new to the Chevy world and this forum. I recently purchased a 2002 Malibu. Seems to be a good running, well built car. Im having an odd issue however. Sometimes the car refuses to start. I turn the key, the car will turn over, I hear the fuel pump running, no security light is on but it will not start. If however, I get out and pull a spark plug wire (usually the first one but can happen with others), the car starts right up. Put the wire back on and we are good to go. The process might repeat later that day or not again for two weeks. The car seems to have a little miss and we are getting about 17MPG in town. I am not sure if that is standard or not. I've replaced the plugs and wires. There are no codes in the system except an old one for a vac leak which was fixed. I can't tell if the plug is actually sparking or not when its having a fit because every time I pull it to test it and have someone crank the engine, it starts. I've googled and searched the forum but haven't found this exact issue. As best I can think, perhaps a coil pack or the ICM? Anyone have any suggestions? If so, I would greatly appreciate it. Kinda scratching my head on this one.
Thanks Guys!
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part 1 -Ignition Module & Crank Sensor Test: GM 3.1L, 3.4L.

Part 1 -Ignition Module Test, Crank Sensor Test: GM 2.4L