Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu car alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Malibu car alarm problems

2004 Malibu has a problem where the alarm system activates frequently. This occurs only after the doors are locked with the remote fob. There is no set time as to how long before the alarm activates. Could be 5 minutes or 5 hours. No one is disturbing the car when it goes off. Any help out there?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Alarm went off again last night and the neighbors are complaining. Where do you start to trouble shoot the alarm system. Last night the doors were locked with the key instead of the keyfob to see if that would make a difference.
Old April 4th, 2010, 7:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Not sure where to begin, but I would recommend you pull the fuse for your horn before you go to bed at night so you stop disturbing your neighbors.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

not sure if its the same system but onour 06 if you lock all the doors by hand instead of remote or powerlock switch youcan lock the doors without arming the alarm
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

I recently bought an 04 myself and noticed the problem after driving through an extremely heavy rain. I switched the dome light to the off position and the alarm stopped coming back on. You can try in the meantime until you find a better fix. My case hopefully what ever got wet dried out and I havent had the problem happen again.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

my son's 2007 malibu does the same thing..esp. after a heavy rain... seems to have to dry out or something. Anyone know the answer how to fix it. The garage can't find anything wrong??...The neighbors sometimes are awakened at night with alarm going off....
Old March 15th, 2011, 5:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has he had his windows tinted? If so, the solution they used may have leaked in and damaged a door latch assembly. The door latch assembly on the 2004+ Malibu contains both the door lock actuator and door ajar switch . The switch circuit is normally open with the door closed. What's probably happening is that liquid gets into the latch assembly and shorts the switch out which the BCM then senses as door opening. It then blows the horn and lights.

He should get the door latch assemblies serviced. In the mean time, he can lock the doors with the manual lock **** on each door. The alarm is only armed when the doors are locked with the key fob or power door lock switch.