Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > Monte Carlo & Lumina
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
CF Beginner

Question '06 Monte Carlo "Service Traction Control" Help

Hello all,

I have an '06 Monte Carlo (3.9L)....while driving normal, 35 mph, the DIC displays "Service Traction Control" and the track control indicator comes on. No check engine light, no ABS light. Shifting between gears becomes very hard (like slamming into 2nd gear). While the message is displayed, used a generic OBD2 scanner and nothing showed up. Clearing history in current DTC's did not make the message go away. If I shut the engine off and wait 2-3 seconds to restart it, all the messages and warnings go away, car shifts normal.

Took it to the dealer today, they said there were no codes stored, probably because I erased the historic DTC's, though none were there. This has been happening more frequently....a few times a week now.

Any ideas?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM
CF Addict

the codes, if any, would be stored in chassis...."C" code.

Can your generic tool even access chassis or the ebcm? The dealer would have to look under history dtc if the problem is intermitant.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your response!

The only code that was in there was a C0561, which the dealer said was a generic code that didn't mean anything.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM
CF Junior Member

The C0561 code means the electronic brake control module (EBCM) is disabling traction control because there is a problem with the engine control portion of the traction control system (TCS). The EBCM sets this code after a code has been set by the PCM or BCM. The next time it happens don't clear the codes and take it to a shop that has a TechII or SnapOn scanner and let them retrieve all the codes from history. The code being set by the PCM or BCM will tell them the cause of the EBCM setting the C0561 code.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChick View Post
Hello all,

I have an '06 Monte Carlo (3.9L)....while driving normal, 35 mph, the DIC displays "Service Traction Control" and the track control indicator comes on. No check engine light, no ABS light. Shifting between gears becomes very hard (like slamming into 2nd gear). While the message is displayed, used a generic OBD2 scanner and nothing showed up. Clearing history in current DTC's did not make the message go away. If I shut the engine off and wait 2-3 seconds to restart it, all the messages and warnings go away, car shifts normal.

Took it to the dealer today, they said there were no codes stored, probably because I erased the historic DTC's, though none were there. This has been happening more frequently....a few times a week now.

Any ideas?
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your Monte Carlo vehicle. "03SSLE" offers a great suggestion. Without the codes, it can be difficult for your dealer to determine the root of the problem. I echno "03SSLE"'s advice.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Tags
06, adsds, c0561, carlo, chevrolet, chevy, code, control, monte, overactive, service, system, tracking, traction, turn