Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1996 Chevy Lumina overheats . . . a lot.

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Chevy Lumina overheats . . . a lot.

My 96 Chevy Lumina refuses to run cool. Because of a bad overheating problem due to a cracked radiator, I had to get my heads machined and replace every gasket from there up (chocolate milk for oil). We (my husband, his brother and I) spent almost a month working on this car, and have tried everything we can think of to get it running right. We've replaced the thermostat, radiator, EGR valve, MAF Sensor, temperature sensor, Low coolant Sensor and the water pump. Somehow, though, it still seems to have heating issues. My brother, usually my go-to when something happens, has given up on it, saying it confuses him. "It should work. I don't know why it doesn't."

Anyway, my husband seems to think it's a sensor or something throwing everything off. We bled the system until there weren't air bubbles, and we're fairly sure we didn't crack the coolant housing, so does anyone have any ideas? They'd be greatly appreciated, as I want my car back. It's been sitting in the same spot at Walmart for two weeks as of today. That was the last time I got to drive it.
Old December 17th, 2012, 8:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does either of the cooling fans come on? Start it, turn a/c on does the drivers side fan come on?
Old December 18th, 2012, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

At first, the driver's side fan came on, then they both gave out. Like I said, we ran wires from them to dash so they both work when I flip a switch. The radiator is brand new, so it shouldn't be blocked.
Old December 18th, 2012, 9:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like an electrical problem/sensor. Something isn't sensing the car heating up, and that is causing the radiator fans not to cut on automatically..

Also.. have you checked the heater core? It might be clogged..
Old December 19th, 2012, 7:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Ok, lets go through this systematically.
You've replaced radiator, I assume cap, tstat. You can manually operate the fans. I think you posted you bleed the system. You have no leaks? Are you experieancing any coolent lose?
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

get a combustion gas tester and make sure your head gaskets sealed
Old April 19th, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

i have the same car year and everything including problems check the fan relays as well
Old November 6th, 2013, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

How's your car running now?
I had this after I replaced the engine due to the infamous intake manifold leaking coolant in the block. Ruined that motor.
So, after I asked my father why it is overheating while the coolant tank and level looked fine, he said I had to jack the car up as high as I could then open the two bleeder valves. One located on the drivers side just to the left of the throttle body and the other was on the pass. sid, towards the front of motor on the black tube that feeds coolant to the other side of the block. Look like small 8mm nuts, that when taken out, have a point on them. I think they are brass fittings. Anyways, he said the back side of motor is not getting coolant. Even though the tank was full and the radiator was full, coolant did not get back to the rear of the motor nearest the firewall. My jack goes pretty high. So, low and behold, had to add just over 1/2 gallon of coolant. Cars now is fine.
Old November 7th, 2013, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Runs just fine now! Replaced the motor ($3000 for remanned engine), and at first, it would heat up again, but it turned out the computer was bad and not reading the temp correctly, and the gauge on the dash is wonky because the old motor ran so hot for so long. Just got it back from the shop recently because some moron didn't make sure when he did the oil change to remove the old ring from the engine before installing a new filter. We had two rings instead of one so when the old one busted, there was a kind of thud from the engine and this burning smell. Got it fixed, so here's hoping I get to drive it for a while before the next problem shows up. I don't know how much more I can take from this thing before I just scrap it and buy a new one.
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oh my!

You must really like that Lumina! You went further than I did with my 98 Monte. I figured it was for my kid to drive to school. And since it was in great shape for the small price of 750 bucks and only a blown engine, due to the coolant problem, I found a used one with 80 thousand for 800 bucks that looks like it had just began leaking coolant. I replaced the gaskets myself and flushed out the crankcase as best I could after getting it started after a few oil changes already with putting less than 6K on the used motor. It seems to be running great. Have even taken it on a 860 mile weekend road trip right after it passed it's second emission test here in the cheesy state of Wisconsin. I researched the motors and replaced the intake gasket material. Apparently, these engines have a life span, if well maintained, of up to 300 to 400 thousand miles. I'm gonna test that theory. Meaning, I guess it would outlast the actual car itself. Which, being a collsion repair guy buy skill and trade, I can handle. Not much of an engine guy anymore. The site of grease under my nails at a cocktail event, to me, is kind of gross. Good luck with your lumina. I have to say though, never pull the fuse out of the HVAC slot while the car is on. This confuses the brains of the system and makes for a miserable summer and or winter. LOL! ONe would think that this is all a dealer could tell you wihtout having you come in and having them sit with it for hours. This is where these forums are of great reference.

Quick Reply: 1996 Chevy Lumina overheats . . . a lot.