Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

95 cruise control.

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 cruise control.

hello,

This is a 95 lumina, but I believe the cruise system is the same on most of the early and mid 90s GM vehicles.

Anyway, my cruise randomly quit working one day. I went under the hood, the connection was clean and tight. So I took the multimeter and started troubleshooting.

Voltage at F when ignition is turned on.
Voltage at D when brake is NOT depressed
Voltage at G when brake is depressed.
No voltage at A when CC switch is slid to ON position.
No voltage at C when switch is slid to R/A
Voltage at B when set switch is depressed.

What this tells me is that my slider switch for cruise has gone bad, but the rest of the system looks to be working properly. Being that those slider switches are part of the multi switch, which costs way more than I'm willing to spend on my $500 beater, I'd like to bypass it.

I attempted this by splicing F into A (figuring this would trick it into thinking that cruise was always on). However it did not work. Does anyone know what needs to be done?
Old September 25th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never mind, I answered my own question typing this post.

I needed to splice A into F, so at the plug F is feeding power to both A and F (I spliced it so F was only feeding A to begin with).

Now it works as it should. Pressing the set button engages cruise, pressing the brake shuts it off. The only function lost it that of the slider switch (which is broken anyway).

Quick, cheap fix to cruise. If anyone has any questions on troubleshooting this sort of thing let me know. I'm getting to be a little bit more familiar with it and I notice there is really nothing for info online.

This should be the same with any GM vehicle that uses an Electro-motor cruise control. And most of them did.