Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

'97 Lumina will not run, hummm?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default '97 Lumina will not run, hummm?

We purchased a '97 garage kept Lumina with 27K six months ago and I did the basic maintenance on it and it has worked great save a fuel gauge issue and the shift indicator binding and not showing what's going on.

Yesterday, my daughter stated it started rough but got her to her next location. Then, she wanted me to drive it and it took a while to start. When it did, in ran very un-smooth and after a dozen or so brrrump, brrrump, brrrumps, it stalled. When I tried to restart and add the gas pedal, it died immediately upon depressing the throttle. I attempted a few more times, trying to start it in various ways and quickly checked for exhaust (flow) and if the plug wires were connected and solid, smelled for gas, made sure the fuel pump relay clicked, etc, but it was raining, so analysis was cut short.

I thought I would ask if anyone had such an issue that just popped-up that might give me a direction to go in my troubleshooting. Thanks!!

Last edited by clanofwolves; March 27th, 2014 at 7:12 AM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 1:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I would do a fuel pressure test to check the fuel pump.
Old March 26th, 2014, 1:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by oldchevy
I'll definitely do that, thanks. The fuel gauge hasn't worked (doesn't show how much fuel is in the tank) since we purchased the car. Could that be related?

Dave
Old March 26th, 2014, 2:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I just did a "loan-a-tool" from AutoZone and it reads 10 psi when I turn the car over; I'm betting that's way low. Is this a fuel pump issue? Could a regulator, filter, ground, connection, etc do such a thing?

Last edited by clanofwolves; March 27th, 2014 at 7:13 AM.
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Monarch

10 psi is really low. With the fuel gauge also not working, I would say that the fuel pump is old and needs to be changed. You could try and changed the filter first. If it is clogged, it could cause your problem. You are probably going to have to change them both.
Old March 28th, 2014, 8:28 AM
CF Junior Member

10 psi is really low. With the fuel gauge also not working, I would say that the fuel pump is old and needs to be changed. You could try and changed the filter first. If it is clogged, it could cause your problem. You are probably going to have to change them both.
I replaced both the filter and the pump and it purr like a kitten. However, the gauge still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:34 AM
CF Monarch

Check all of your fuses. Also check the wiring going to the pump. The sending unit for the gauge is part of the fuel pump. A new fuel pump is also a new sending unit.
Old March 28th, 2014, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks!! We filled up the car and now it's working; guess it needed a bump to get the new sender sending...

Dave